Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What 29er full suspension frames are good with pedaling out of the saddle? Is there a particular rear end design that is the best for this?

I'm the type of rider that doesn't like to sit down and spin all day. I've been considering the new Sultan with the DW link because there is a lot of hype about how you can stand and ride wonderfully, but the price tag is too high for me, as I'm probably in the price range for a used frame and there obviously aren't any used Sultans yet. Any suggestions would be great.
 

·
I don't huck.
Joined
·
2,543 Posts
tribune said:
What 29er full suspension frames are good with pedaling out of the saddle? Is there a particular rear end design that is the best for this?

I'm the type of rider that doesn't like to sit down and spin all day. I've been considering the new Sultan with the DW link because there is a lot of hype about how you can stand and ride wonderfully, but the price tag is too high for me, as I'm probably in the price range for a used frame and there obviously aren't any used Sultans yet. Any suggestions would be great.
Really, designs aside, Pro Pedal will keep nearly any decent bike stable when standing and climbing. Some of the rigs like the Jet-9 and the DW stuff will do that as well without the Pro Pedal, but it will cost ya $$$.
 

·
Klunkin' Ain't Easy.
Joined
·
451 Posts
The Pivot 429 uses DW and is a bargain compared to Turner Sultan. Also looking at the Salsa Big Mama. Single pivot design with Pro Pedal shock.

I love what Niner offers but I have seen too many cracked frames to give them a referral. Three in 12 months. One Jet, one SIR, and one AIR. Too bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Get the Niner RIP 9 - Pedals great and the 08's are going slightly used for a song.

Standing pedaling performance is not the only thing, what else are you looking for?

I really like the RIP 9, but due to a few other characteristics I am replacing it with a different frame. It is the best pedaling FS bike I've ridden standing or seated, hands down.
 

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
Joined
·
4,127 Posts
Really, designs aside, Pro Pedal will keep nearly any decent bike stable when standing and climbing
my Ventana pedals well out of the saddle with pro pedal with the lock out always on. It is stiff too which is a factor also, but still maintains plushness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Hard tails pedal well out of the saddle. =P

Seriously though, you've ridden a HT 29er, right? First time, I was blown away by how smooth it was. You can't sit and peddle through everything like with FS, but it's sure a whole lot better then a HT with little wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
To the OP, best bet is to look at a Voodoo CANZO, bran new they retails for under $900. They are very capable bikes and if you find one used well it should be a good bit cheaper. Browse the forum/do a search for the Canzo, it's a great bike that they need to offer in a true XL size.

Where the hell have you found a 429 that's a bargain compared to a Sultan? Just curious since the new Sultan is around $2250-$2300 I think and well a new 429 is around $2200 :rolleyes: I'll take the TURNER any day.

sjordan72 said:
The Pivot 429 uses DW and is a bargain compared to Turner Sultan. Also looking at the Salsa Big Mama. Single pivot design with Pro Pedal shock.

I love what Niner offers but I have seen too many cracked frames to give them a referral. Three in 12 months. One Jet, one SIR, and one AIR. Too bad.
 

·
trail rat
Joined
·
7,825 Posts
I have a Voodoo Canzo, and ride an SS alot as well, so the stand and pedal is a habit I have a tough time breaking. ;)

My Canzo does ok, to a point. I have a friend that I ride with frequently who has a RacerX 29 and he is out of the saddle often. I have pedaled his bike, and it is a far more efficient bike than my Canzo when standing, no comparison.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Neither is there in regards to the price of the frames.

slocaus said:
I have a Voodoo Canzo, and ride an SS alot as well, so the stand and pedal is a habit I have a tough time breaking. ;)

My Canzo does ok, to a point. I have a friend that I ride with frequently who has a RacerX 29 and he is out of the saddle often. I have pedaled his bike, and it is a far more efficient bike than my Canzo when standing, no comparison.
 

·
Harshing my mellow, man..
Joined
·
369 Posts
What about the 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 9er? Basically a 9er Epic, so you get the brain that'll lock out and be stiff for pedaling uphill. And maybe since it's last years model, you can get one discounted somewhere.
 

·
Expert Crasher
Joined
·
6,359 Posts
LyNx said:
Where the hell have you found a 429 that's a bargain compared to a Sultan? Just curious since the new Sultan is around $2250-$2300 I think and well a new 429 is around $2200 :rolleyes: I'll take the TURNER any day.
Good call, less than 10% difference.

429 = $2199 at Speedgoat
Sultan = $2395 at Competitive Cyclist (not always the cheapest place)

To the OP - start looking at the classifieds for used Sultans and RIP 9s, both of which had 09 model year updates so there should be some older models hitting the market. There is plenty on here to research the merits/disadvantages of each design - enough to keep you occupied for a few days.
 

·
trail rat
Joined
·
7,825 Posts
LyNx said:
Neither is there in regards to the price of the frames.
OP wanted good pedaller out of the saddle, considered DW Sultan in first post; no where did he mention he wanted a lowest cost frame. :confused:

The RacerX 29er is more efficient pedaller than the Canzo. If I could afford it, I'd sell my Canzo and get one. There are some good lower prices on the RacerX 29 now.
 

·
bike weenie
Joined
·
589 Posts
FWIW - I had a vicious 29er with the racerX rear suspension - and didn't love it. As advertised, it is a very efficient pedaler. However - it's only 80mm travel (maybe they offer 100mm by now - didn't then), and rides like about 40mm of travel in terms of how it feels.

Given this - my view is if you want FS - go with one of the other suggestions, if you like the racerX, I'd suggest a hardtail instead. I wanted to like it, since I had it built/painted custom, etc, but to me seemed to offer all the weight and complexity of an FS bike with very little of the benefit vs other FS bikes I'd ridden (nearly all Turners).
 

·
saddlemeat
Joined
·
3,873 Posts
locobaylor said:
What about the 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 9er? Basically a 9er Epic, so you get the brain that'll lock out and be stiff for pedaling uphill. And maybe since it's last years model, you can get one discounted somewhere.
Excellent working class FSR, the brain, highly evolved pivots, durable over time, superb geometry, plush, plush, plush, climbs like like a HT.

Set it up light.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top