Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
I wreck alot
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I rarely see any 26" bikes here in FL anymore while out on the trail. I'm curious, how many of you haven't yet switched to larger wheels. What full-suspension 26" bikes are you riding in the Southeast?

SC Heckler here.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not intending to start a war about which wheel size is best for our region. I'm just generally interested in seeing what you're riding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a HT 29er and just got a Trek Fuel EX8 which is 26". I am really liking the more twitchy feel of the 26". The 29er feels a little faster on flat/rooty trails, but the 26er is just a lot fun to ride.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm riding an Epic 26er in south florida because I got a killer deal on it. As soon as I can afford the scalpel 29er I will be switching, though.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
In South Florida, 99 Cannondale Super V with a Marzocchi Bomber Z1 up front and Fox Twin Clicker in the rear.

I just can't come to terms with the few 29's I have ridden, you can't steer the bike by sliding the rear wheel into the corner.

The bike I would want but no plans to buy would be a Ventana El Chucho 69r or a Zeus 650B.

The nice thing about a 26 these days is many of the trails have more "flow" created by 29 bikes and it allows much faster corner speeds on the 26 also. But the 26 retains the ability to turn inside a 29 almost at will in technical terrain.

PK

·
linkwvu
87 Posts
2 month old Cannondale Trail SL2 29er. Great ride so far, would love to get out more but work seems to consume my life..... Doesn't help that it gets dark at 4:30 now either. Just up the road from you too in Crestview otherwise known as Crestvegas ;)

Attachments

·
\m/{-_-}\m/
726 Posts
2008 Cannondale Rush Carbon. Have ridden it all over FL, GA and NC but I'm hoping to go to a carbon 29er hardtail soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just built up a new 26" HT w/Rock Shox SID WC forks - absolutely love it. So many great "leftover" deals on 26" frames and parts right now. Previous bike was a 26" Specialized Epic (2006 or 2007). I try to sneak away whenever I can on business trips and ride. Rented XC full suspension 29ers in Bend, OR and Ft Collins, CO over the summer/fall and had a blast. No interest in switching from my 26" at home though and, for me, glad I switched back to HT. That said, I plan to keep renting 29ers when on the road in the mountains (and hopefully a 650B one of these days too).

Glad we have choices - so many great designs, geometries and wheel sizes to enjoy. ...and they are all f-u-n to ride.

·
I need a new name
906 Posts
Not in FL but I still prefer the 26" wheels. I have a SC Nomad and Ibis Mojo SL. I do have a 29r, SC Tallboy AL, but really prefer the crisper handling of my 26" bikes. Each has a purpose.

·
bust a move
1,978 Posts
I have two: 04 SC heckler, 08 Titus motolite. The heckler is pretty much a loaner/beater/back up bike and doesn't see much action.

·
Registered
134 Posts
2006 Epic FS. I don't understand how the 29's have taken over the market. I like the technical challenge of riding over roots, etc. and having a nimble bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have spent a good bit of time riding around GA and AL (homebase in NC). Chicopee, Swayback, Bartram/Pleasant Hill, West Point Lake and so on. I ride a Tomac Automatic 120 mainly which is a 26" FS bike. When the winter comes and the wet grit of southeast red clay comes out, I ride a Haro Beasley 650b single speed hardtail much more often. Both bikes have their strengths, I think the twisty singletrack lends itself better to a 26" bike, but whatever gets you out there and pedaling...

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
1997 Schwinn S-20 and a KH-24 Muni until I can get my Custom Ventana ECDM out here

Zipper, I'm not exactly sure where you live now in the Southeast, but when you get that ECDM into Florida, let's hook up and ride some trails on the tandems.

PK

1 - 20 of 48 Posts