Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to like this bike, but continual excuses by Ibis is not only reflecting poorly on themselves, but also the IBS that continue to represent this company. This is a simple excersize in supply chain management, generally you risk corporate reputation at the expense of continued product delays. I placed my order May 1st with local IBS. At time was given a June 15th delivery date. I thought that was being patient, but now i learn that Ibis has indicated July15th ... with my lbs providing the caveat or ,"I wouldn't hold your breath!".
I really want to like this bike, this company ... but I will not tolerate inefficiency and blatant misinformation by an organization that just doesn't get it. The lack of Ripmo should have been my first clue to attempting to branch out to Ibis ... all of which has left me in a negative space, so much that I cancelled my order and feel sorry for IBS that have their reputation affected by Ibis's inability to provide product or at the simplest, a realistic estimation of product distribution. Ibis you have to do better ... at least my two cents. Sorry for the rant ... but the intention here os for Ibis to attempt to rectify all of this by perhaps engaging with the people that buy their product. How about some sort of update for all of those people that continue to be patient?

·
Registered
932 Posts
It's been my experience that this is standard fare for the release of any new new bike that ends up being a "hit".

There is no line for shitty bikes if you're in a hurry

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Small company so they produce fairly small frame batches and this bike was a super hit so here we are. Note the distributors whom ordered in volume had little issue at launch but if your lbs did not pre ordered then you go after those whom did---weeks ago folks were complaining but others were getting product. I was at IBIS and this is what the relayed----now everyone is waiting as production is what it is--IBIS as a small outfit only can commit so much capital up front with unknown demand---do not be surprised if SC has the same issue with the new HT and they have no capital constraints. Remember when all is said and done these bikes for the entire USA are not high volume---

Plenty of good bikes if IBIS bothers you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know, I would tend to agree, however, at least in my experience, Yeti came forth with a real estimate of delivery. It is a sad state of affairs when the LBS tells me not to get too excited! On that note, if my bike cannot be cancelled, sounds like it will be easy to unload ... interested?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Seriously though, what's the hurry?

Be patient. You'll get a great bike.

I wanted a Sprinter. 10 month wait. But I had a truck so I put down a deposit. Would have loved it for the summer but I won't get it til fall. My dodge will do in the inetrim. No big deal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trying to be patient ... I had hoped to have bike dialed for Crowsnest 100 and the BCBR, but at this moment I would be happy to just have the bike to ride at either event. At least I will have it in time for a Teton trip planned for early September. Anyway, appreciate the words ... as a well known Canuck said (Tippey) in one of the NWD videos ... ,"Lets Ride!".

·
Registered
615 Posts
Not my place to be impatient or not. I will say that their will be plenty of responses that will say it is a small company, that it is worth the wait, or that you shouldn't be impatient. Maybe they are right. On the other hand it is 2019. Someone at Ibis has the accurate information put together a real estimate, and the flow of information to keep it updated. Granted it may not be the answer you want, granted it may change for reasons beyond everyone's control. That is life. If the July date is the real date as they know it and they gave you that info, at least they are communicating and trying to do the right thing.

In recent years I waited 6 months for a new model I paid for, only to have the big S tell me they couldn't even conjure a guess, while they delivered bikes to stores that didn't even have an order in. I still don't find it one bit funny that they never delivered that bike to the LBS. Daimler/Chrysler (Jeep) did the essentially the same thing to me on a $35,000 vehicle. I cancelled my order after 200 days and lost my deposit on that one.

I bet you will love your new bike when you finally get it.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
my story, crossposting from another thread,

-ordered Ripmo frame in late April - was told Mid-June
-Early June rolls around, I call in - am told NOPE it will be Late JULY
-I leave a strong voicemail and have my shop contact their rep
-Lo and behold, the frame is already there. the day after i called and was told it wouldn't be available for another 7 weeks.

-outcome is, i ended up getting the frame earlier than expected, but with some weird stuff along the way.

Ibis is a victim of their own success i guess. Maybe they don't want to take outside money to buy supply and are watching their cashflow carefully. I dont really know...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am in the same boat as all of you and have been with each new model of Ibis I've ordered. This Ripley has been a particular challenge and though it won't mean much to those waiting for bikes, I have heard that the demand for this Ripley may have exceeded Ibis most optimistic forecasts by more than 100%. If that is true then it's a really tough (good tough) situation for Ibis. There are simply limits to how many units can be ordered from a capital standpoint and how many can be manufactured in a given timeframe.

Then factor in that some savvy dealers know to order big and order early and order 20 or 30 or more bikes immediately, stacking the queue which is great for those dealers and their customers (Pro Bike Supply, Competitive, Jenson and others) but it means smaller dealers or dealers that wait too late to order may have to wait a long time for delivery of the products. I agree that Ibis needs to manage supply better and communicate well with dealers and customers about what to expect, but having a launch exceed the best plan by 2x or more is virtually impossible for a brand the size of Ibis to meet expectations.

As long as Ibis keeps designing excellent bikes, setting the standard of care for customers and maintains high quality levels - be patient. The new Ripley is worth the wait.
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Demo courtesy Pro Bike Supply

·
Registered
499 Posts
Standard fare with Ibis bikes I'm afraid. I had it with HD3 and HD4, so decided to buy my Ripmo later in the model cycle.

If it's a bike you're gonna keep for a while then just suck it up and ask the LBS to supply a demo while you wait (mine did). If you're a bike flipper then buy something else and get a Ripley in 12 months.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
AS I recall last year Norco ran out is Sights in early spring----Rocky seems to run out early near every year--knolly took months on the fugitive-even Spesh has issues with the new Stumpy----not saying this is good but seems common.

For me the good news is more good bikes keep coming and I keep riding my Pivot but with cash burning in my pocket----not a bad thing

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Don't limit yourself to one dealer!!! There are many dealers out there selling Ibis that will gladly sell you a bike. How bad do you want it? Sometimes you have to do a little work on your end - my advice call around, there is probably one sitting in shop somewhere. The more remote the bike shop, the high the likelihood they have one.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
first world problems

Giant is bigger than anyone else. sells more bikes than anyone else. has more bikes in the supply chain than anyone else, biggest logistics...dealer network...all that

and it still took me 2.5 and 4 months to get two new bikes from Giant, same deal....just wait man it's not the end of the world.

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Deep New Bike Thoughts

A few thoughts...

1) Don't get hyped on a new bike unless you are willing to hustle to find a frame/bike in stock, or incoming soon. I've ordered bikes from shops across the country because they had what I wanted (HakkaMX - shout to Tenafly Bicycle Works in NJ!). Some shops take priority with Ibis due to their business - get to know them and get in line IMMEDIATELY.

2) Wait until things settle down. I waited 8-10months to pull the trigger on a Ripmo frame. Was able to get it quickly. AMAZING BIKE.

3) Ibis makes incredible bikes and they consistently sell out the first few batches. AFAIK, they tried to have a huge stock of Ripley V4 in stock at time of release, and they STILL blew through all estimates.

4) Get a frameset, not full bike. Sometimes it's just way easier(+faster) to get the frame and kit separately.

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
5) Summer seems to slow things down for everyone. I've had several friends take bikes into shops for service and they're all booked out 2 weeks, just for service!

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
A testament to how great these new, short travel, slack 29er are. You can't keep them on the shelves. My Trance 29 is such a great bike.

I would get too negative towards relatively small bike companies who don't want to bankrupt themselves by going overboard with unused stock. When these small companies take on too much financial burden, they disappear. Then guess what - fewer nice bikes.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Seriously though, what's the hurry?

Be patient. You'll get a great bike.

I wanted a Sprinter. 10 month wait. But I had a truck so I put down a deposit. Would have loved it for the summer but I won't get it til fall. My dodge will do in the inetrim. No big deal.

Well, to me its not an issue of being patient. It is an issue of delivering what you were told when you signed up to purchase. Promising something you can't provide just to make a sale is not the right way to do business IMO. Even if it is customary. I mean, that's not how I run my business. If I have a client need something, I tell them when I can realistically get it done, and let them decide if they want to pay me to do it or find someone faster. That's the way it works. Do I lose some work over it? Of course I do. But I'd rather deliver what I promised, and not overpromise when I know I can't deliver.

And if Ibis knew it was looking at 100% over what it had expected, the honest thing to do is to shut down orders until it catches up. That happens all the time, too, especially among smaller manufacturers of all types of stuff. Not keep taking orders and stringing us along.

And yeah, some of us NEED a bike. My Enduro is done, I'm essentially bikeless, having decided not to sink any more $$ into it on repairs believing I'd have my Ripmo a week ago. I scheduled a bike trip with my brother over the 4th which looks to be in jeopardy now. The Ripmo seems like a great bike, but it's not the be all end all, and I'd rather have something comparable that I can ride now than spend half my summer walking the trails!

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
you ain't bikeless until you are down to only 4 bikes in the quiver.

if you have less than 4 bikes, then you really never had any bikes to begin with...

Reactions: doismellbacon

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Hear ya..frustrating.

Like benja said...I'd wait until the dust settles. Sometimes good to not get first runs anyway. Let them get the glitches out. (Ibis seems to have that figured out, ripmo is dialed.)

The bike will still be new to you next season.

Really want a Ripmo and maybe a V4 Ripley. Decided to wait until next year. While waiting I swapped out the tires on my Ripley and it feels refreshed and different.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.