Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I have used (extensively) the following forks in the past 2 years.
Rock Shox Reba RL
Rock Shox Recon Silver
Fox 32 Float Evolution CTD

I find the Fox to be the best of those three...
The recon silver/gold are awesome forks, the reason why they are cheaper is only because they are heavier. If you don't mind the extra weight, they are a good buy.

·
Super Moderator
6,803 Posts
Use Yakaz search, for Rock Shox Reba XX or RL. It's a cool nationwide product search engine, scanning all Craigslist, eBay and other bike site classifieds, once you keyword the RS Reba fork. The Dual Air Reba XX/RL are totally sweet, 29er forks WORTH looking for! I found my 2012 Trek Superfly frame this way.

Classified ads - Yakaz

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
This is known as the 'purchasing triangle'. Settling for any two attributes is not terribly difficult. Trying to find all three can be nearly impossible at best.

a) Delivered at/near the beginning of prime riding season

b) Excellent fork with most popular attributes (100mm travel for 29" wheels, and 15mm axle)

c) Significant discount

The straight 1-1/8" steerer with the 15mm axle is your biggest hurdle. I can find some REBA's under $500 with 100mm travel and straight steerer, but they all have been 9mmQR axles. I guess they figure that most people wanting a fork with a straight steerer also likely have 9mm QR wheels too. Combine that with you needing the most popular travel length, and you have a tough road to hoe.

Good luck, it's not going to be easy to find that combo of features, especially at a discount.

·
Banned
266 Posts
What front hub do you have? Can it be converted to 9mm qr? As others have said. Straight steer with 15mm axles are getting rare.

If you purchase used. Toss oil and a rebuild kit into the price.

Edit- Marzochhi Corsa use to have a 15mm straight. Excellent fork as well.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I had a similar issue and decided to adjust the axle type when doing a after season overhaul. Ordered 20mm axle lowers and replaced the 9mm QR ones that were original. Now I have a pretty rare straight steer tube 20mm axle Reba.

Lower came from these guys: Bikeman Parts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went with the slide and I don't regret it. Massive upgrade over the "pogo stick," as I think it's called, that came with the bike. I'm new to MTB but I can tell it's going to be a lot more fun with the new fork. I also picked up a nice cheap used 15mm t/a easton wheel at the LBS and I'm loving the change. I don't know enough to know why -- but the bike seems to handle WAY better and obviously the terrain is less disruptive now. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Sounds good, glad you're liking the Slide. What you're feeling is two fold, first it's the fact that you actually have a proper functioning fork, not one that dives through it's travel uncontrollably and erratically and that you can tune for your weight. Second is the move to a 15mm TA, coupled with the stiffer chassis of the new fork, so more precise steering that isn't knocked off line/track no where near as easily.

I went with the slide and I don't regret it. Massive upgrade over the "pogo stick," as I think it's called, that came with the bike. I'm new to MTB but I can tell it's going to be a lot more fun with the new fork. I also picked up a nice cheap used 15mm t/a easton wheel at the LBS and I'm loving the change. I don't know enough to know why -- but the bike seems to handle WAY better and obviously the terrain is less disruptive now. Thanks for the suggestions!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.