Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided that I needed to check out Fruita this weekend because I've always driven past on my way to Utah and have never ridden there. My plan was to run out there Saturday morning, get a ride in and head back to Denver. I got into Fruita a little late (around 2pm) and dropped by the LBS Over the Edge Sports. They told me I should check out Mary's Loop and Horsethief Bench and that Moore Fun would be what I want to ride but would be too wet.

Horsethief Bench proved to be what folks have boasted about in Fruita. Really nice flowy singletrack with incredible views. Lots of fun, except for the one corner where I went superman OTB at about 20-25 mph. Trashed my wrist, but not broken.

Besides the drop-in into Horsethief, my long-travel BigHit was a little bit overkill, but it pedals well, so I had fun.

I got back to the parking lot and decided that I had too much fun and just couldn't drive back to Denver without getting in some more riding in. So I checked into the new La Quinta Inn in Fruita.

Pics:
1. This is the scenic, flowing singletrack Fruita is becoming famous for.

2. Self-portrait.

3. The Obligatory vanity pic.

4. Part of the drop-in into Horsethief. This is actually much nastier than it looks (as usual in pictures).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Trail Report cont'd

I was able to hook up with some local rippers for Sunday - Travis, Tanner, and Joel (singletrack on MTBR.com). We rode The Ribbon, some ultra-secret trail in the middle, Eagle Wing, and some others connecting, etc. Joel should be able to name the others. There are seriously so many trails in that area that I had no idea what we were on at any time.

This was some of the most fun riding I've ever done! The singletrack was super-flowy, though really loose soil, but hardly any mud. 3-4 drops were so numerous that you don't even realize you're going off of them after a while. 5-8 drops with nice trannys are all over, wallrides, tigers, lions and bears, oh my! This is truly freeride heaven. And I was only able to take a super small sampling!

Since my wrist was trashed, I was unable to hit some of the bigger drops that I wanted to, but I got a couple good pics of Tanner hitting some.

I think I will be spending a lot of time in Fruita in the future. I really want to thank Joel, Travis, and Tanner for showing me around, and I'm sure we'll hit you guys up to be trail guides again in the near future with some more of the rippers from the front range!

Pics:
1. Joel on the huge slickrock slab at the start of The Ribbon

2. Travis hittin' a nice little hip-drop.

3. Tanner nailing a nice launch with Joel watching on.

4. The view from the top of Eagle Wing. Notice the slickrock slabs at the top-left of the pic. That is the beginning part of The Ribbon (see pic 1).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
More pics

1. Me about to go off the hip-drop (notice my purdy new OTE Sports tee). This is the only picture of me actually riding, so I needed to throw it in.

2. Joel off the hip-drop

3. Tanner off of the hip-drop

4. The view from the top of The Ribbon of Grand Junction and the bookcliffs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Even more pics

0. Pictures of super-secret part of The Ribbon trail intentionally not included, sorry.

1. Some Western Slope rippers, from left to right: Joel, Tanner, Travis. The top of Eagle Wing can be at the top left of this picture.

2. Tanner flying down a sweet drop on Eagle Wing.

3. Joel showin' how its done (was it called the squeezer?). This move is much more difficult than it looks. Very commited wallride with dire consequences if the rider does not achieve enough amplitude followed directly by a 4 foot drop (not pictured). This was quite impressive.

4. My fat @ss half way up the death-climb from the bottom of The Ribbon to the top of Eagle Wing. Again, the slickrock at the beginning of The Ribbon is visible in the distance.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeet! I cannot wait to head out that way, looks like you had a great time.

P.S. You know that people have been burned at the stake for mentioning anything to do with "special" riding spots online right?

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
s1ngletrack said:
Sweeeeeeeeet! I cannot wait to head out that way, looks like you had a great time.
Me too....I thought about Fruita all weekend. I'd like to go out for a Sat/Sun session before the big 10 year gathering (can't make it to Fruita that weekend). Anyone else interested?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
s1ngletrack said:
[email protected], that is sexy.

edit - not you Grant, the feature to the right of you.
Man - that kind of stuff is everywhere out there. This area could easily be ridden all day if you hit some of the stunts multiple times. That's kinda what I would like to do next time I go out there (when my wrist is healed), take the time to watch & take pics of each of the stunts and hit some a few times, they are totally worth it. We only rode these trails for about 2 hours total on Sunday.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
ahhh, now ya done it

and here I thought I'd ridden all the best parts of Fruita in my 2 day mini self tour. Dammit, now it looks like I need to go back...
My tour was similar to yours, but without the local guide. I rode by the CO the first nite, then did the edge loop and headed home.
My b'day (tax day) will be the 5 anniversary of my trip down there and my first full suspension riding. I sense a new era about to be born... :D

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
dbabuser said:
and here I thought I'd ridden all the best parts of Fruita in my 2 day mini self tour.
Ain't Fruita, it's GJ. A fine line yes, but totally different trails.

Hey Grant, sorry I didn't quite get you into the frame on that pic. I'm also kinda dissapointed that my hangover wasn't sufficent to make me puke on the trail. I came really close, though. :p That's the kind of pic of me I want floating around MTBR.

s1ngletrack said:
You know that people have been burned at the stake for mentioning anything to do with "special" riding spots online right?
Erm, yeah I'll prolly catch sh1t from somebody just for appearing in "Freeride" pics. Oh well, fuggit. The jump lines are mostly near-trail, and drop back to the trail to keep with the flow. I'm not a big fan of the hike-into-the-crypto-to-huck stuff. Moreover, that stuff is really visible; the tracks last along time, and people get real up in arms about it. Including me, if it's irresponsible enough.

We weren't kidding when we said folks [other riders mostly] will leave the entrance to a jump open and rock the landing to try and fvck us up. Although that hasn't happened much since JD moved to Cali. :rolleyes:

Anyway, ya'll should make the trip out here, I was really suprised how dry it was, even up 2100 feet above town.

That other trail we was talkin' about should be good to go soon, and it RIPS. Really. It ripped an XC bike in half after 3 runs. :eek:

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
singletrack said:
We weren't kidding when we said folks [other riders mostly] will leave the entrance to a jump open and rock the landing to try and fvck us up. Although that hasn't happened much since JD moved to Cali. :rolleyes:

That other trail we was talkin' about should be good to go soon, and it RIPS. Really. It ripped an XC bike in half after 3 runs. :eek:
JD sounds like a real amicable guy.

Any trail that is capable of ripping a bike in half sounds like good fun.

·
Hairshirt Rider
1,879 Posts
s1ngletrack said:
P.S. You know that people have been burned at the stake for mentioning anything to do with "special" riding spots online right?
Yea, so now that those of us who matter have heard about it and seen some of the pictures, you can edit them out of your post and it will be our little secret.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Loudpawlz said:
Yea, so now that those of us who matter have heard about it and seen some of the pictures, you can edit them out of your post and it will be our little secret.
Well, you have heard - but no one has *seen* the pics of the "special" section. Those pics have only been seen by myself and my guides.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.