Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dr. Pepper drinker
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Made a solo roadie down to Fruita over the weekend with my pup to get in my first ride for the season. I'm not much of a cold weather rider and both the bike and my riding legs had been in hibernation since Moab last October. The five month layoff was really getting to me lately and with winter failing to release its grip on the mountains here in Salt Lake, it was time to make a long awaited return trip to Fruita. We rolled into town late Friday night and crashed at the nicely remodeled (since I've been there last, it's been a few years) Balanced Rock Motel. Woke up early Saturday morning and took the dog for a run and then hit Over the Edge for recommendations for rides for the day and to check the shop out. OTE has undergone some nice changes since I was last there including the addition of a coffee bar. I picked up a new copy of the trail guide and hit the coffee bar where I had the chance to meet shop owner/MTBRite/barista extraordinaire Troy. A quick chat about MTBR and FTFF and an excellent hot chocolate with a kick (sorry, not much of a coffee drinker) and I was off to the Kokopelli trailhead.

My plan for the ride was really vague going in as I had no idea how much riding I was going to be able to handle. I figured I could take it easy on the climbs, take plenty of breaks to enjoy the scenery (read: let my legs recover), and turn back whenever I really started hurting. The initial climb up Mary's hit me pretty hard but it felt good to get the legs burning again. I made it to the beginning of Horsethief and made a half-hearted attempt to ride the drop down to the bench but stopped about a third of the way down. I thought about giving it a second shot but then thought better of making my first ride of the year my last and resigned to shouldering the bike the rest of the way down. The Horsethief singletrack was sweet as usual and I could feel my handling skills coming back pretty quick. Finished the loop and made the hike back up ready for a much needed rest with the clan of riders gathered at the top. At one point I glanced up and found myself saying "Hey, I recognize that bike." It was the sweet pink/purple Edge Cycles SS so regularly seen in our daily serving of Fruita pics here on MTBR. Screampint (I'm assuming that was you or your bike's been stolen) humored me with a quick chat despite my borderline-insane sounding conversation starter before going on her way and I took of on Mary's. After more breathtaking views on Mary's I hit Steve's/Handcuffs. The stops became a little more frequent to talk to other riders, take pictures, and enjoy the views (read: rest my aching feet, legs, arms, and back). After finishing Steve's I was still having a blast but could tell my body was running out of gas so I made a steady cruise back on Mary's to the car.

All in all just another amazing trip to Fruita, the usual amazing trails, beautiful views, great weather, and cool people. It was great to make it back after a pretty lengthy time away from one of my favorite places. Hopefully I'll be back in a couple weeks to experience my first FFTF.

A few pics that won't even come close to doing this place justice:
Pics 1&2--Looking over Horsethief from Mary's
Pic 3--Horsethief singletrack
Pics 4&5--Mary's singletrack
Pics 6&7--Steve's/Handcuffs
Pic 8--Self portrait shot on Mary's
Pic 9--My trip companion checking on the FFTF grounds after a long day in the hotel

Attachments

·
Dr. Pepper drinker
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trevor! said:
Fruita = Riding heaven... Well thats what I think each time I see a post like this one.
Ha, my title for the post was going to be "Is this heaven? It's Fruita," but I wasn't sure if anyone would get the Field of Dreams reference besides some other Iowa natives.

Mr Soul said:
Those are some really cool shots.
What kind of camera are you using?
The camera is just a couple year old Kodak Easyshare 3.1 megapixel, nothing special at all but it has always worked well. I think it's pretty hard to make Fruita look bad!

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
Nice bumping into you. I was on a roll. Rode out Mary's did Horsethief, went further out on Mary's to the end of the singletrack (where it connects with Steve's), back and around Horsethief again. I was going in for the second helping of Horsethief when I saw you.

Now it's fest time. I'll be off the board most of the time, as I won't have time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.