Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from a week of riding in Fruita, GJ, and the Roaring Fork valley. I finally had a chance to test the new Burner in the environment it was made for. Needless to say, the bike did everything it was asked and more. I spent the first day adjusting the settings on the RP3 and the Reba until I think I found the sweet spot. The RP3 did best for me (180lbs with gear) at a lower than expected pressure - 160lbs with 4 clicks of rebound adjustment. It felt absolutely plush in the "-" setting, but still firmed up on the "+" setting to where there was virtually no bob. The Reba also benefitted from less air in the positive chamber 135lbs vs. 145 lbs in the negative chamber. Very lively feel, but never bottomed out. Dialed the floodgate out to 4 turns from full closed. The lock out still firmed up the front end, but when unlocked I got full travel out of the fork. I rode all the good stuff, Horsethief, Steve's, Handcuffs, Mack Ridge all connected by Mary's. Also rode the Colorado National Monument one morning early. Locked the front end down, put the rear end in "+" mode, and lowerd the front travel to 85mm. The bike rode up to the top without any noticeable movement when seated and spinning properly. There was some minor movement on heavy hammers out of the saddle, but I was actually trying to induce bob to see what the bike would do. Once up on top, I opened it all up and screamed down the access road, hit 49mph. Felt like I was riding a Harley. These pics capture the most common sights in the area - the technical drop into Horsethief, the canyons, buffed singletrack and the Burner. It was a great trip - the trails are in the best condition I have ever seen them - no crowds. Fat Tire Bike week should be a blast.

Attachments

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Jdub said:
Surely you didn't do the descent on to Horsethief on the Burner....Did you? If so you have large marbles.
I don't see why not. It's the rider not the bike the rider is on. On the days I can do it, I could just as well be on a hardtail. When I really rode that consistently, I was on a truth, which is very comparible to a burner.

That said, this year I think the newer drop just above the standard huge drop opened up big. I tried to side edge it, my front lost grip and launched me--shook me up enough, I didn't go for a second run. I think the upper drop is harder than the lower right notch drop now.

Cuttroat, sorry I missed you. I had a huge chaotic group to deal with. Nice shots...

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lidarman said:
I think the newer drop just above the standard huge drop opened up big. I think the upper drop is harder than the lower right notch drop now. Cuttroat, sorry I missed you. I had a huge chaotic group to deal with. Nice shots...
My marbles aren't that big. I've ridden most of the upper half above the "standard huge drop" but always dismounted at that point. The upper drop section is now too intimidating for me, at least considering this was my first real rock session of the year and I was riding alone (yeah that's it). Sorry we didn't hook up. I was out real early looking for Turners but didn't see you. Managed to clear all the rest of Horsethief except the portage sections - it's the best I've ever ridden it, and I attribute it to the new bike.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
cutthroat said:
Managed to clear all the rest of Horsethief except the portage sections - it's the best I've ever ridden it, and I attribute it to the new bike.
I saw a guy on a black Turner and said something and he gave me a blank look ...not you. Also, I don't have my Turner built yet so I was still in state of Ellsworthia that weekend.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
lidarman said:
I don't see why not. It's the rider not the bike the rider is on.
Agreed 100%. 10 inches of travel wouldn't help me on that descent, but I'm sure there are some crazies on rigids that would clean it time after time.

As a blanket statement though, I would say that most Burner riders (shorter travel full squish type bikes) probably don't ride that. Again, not saying it can't be done on a Burner, I would just be that much more impressed at someone who rode a Burner down it as opposed to say a SC Bullit or something along those lines.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lidarman said:
I saw a guy on a black Turner and said something and he gave me a blank look ...not you.
Wasn't me - I was riding with crazy trail dog on Sunday and Monday morning - saturday really early I saw only one other rider. I did run into two big groups from Boulder - but the only Ells was being ridden capably by a knock out blond.
:p

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Great shots cutthroat, I was there this past weekend, rode Fri & Sat and then bailed Sat night cause the weather was getting bad and wanted to make it home before the blizzard. The Horsethief drop was different from what I remembered, I took the far right line at the big drop and then biffed it a little farther down, still haven't made that section. We had a damn hurricane Thurs night, got out of the tent to take a pee and it blew over my buddies tent and something knocked the crap out of his head-funny sh!t. Anyway, here's a few shots from Fri, it rained on us Sat over on 18 rd. so no pics.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Great shots!

Particularly like the Horsethief shot and the lower few from rroeder - sweeeet!

I'll be there for the FFTF in but a few weeks time - my first US riding ever (unless you count riding the Amish back roads of Pennsylvania on a borrowed cruiser back in '91!).

Look out for a bloke with pale blue skin riding a 5 Spot :^)

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
Shots of the upper and lower drop???

Anyone have any pictures of the mentioned upper and lower drop sections?

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
SHAHEEB said:
Anyone have any pictures of the mentioned upper and lower drop sections?
on the entrance;

here is a great pic of the lower section as of lately (somplements of mtbbill)...

me on it two years ago...

The upper drop is back a ways and kinda hidden in the pix. It used to be a notch but lately a rock dislodged and made it deeper.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
The shot with lidarman in it REALLY flattens it out, the first one definitely captures the steep and sketchy factor of the drop. I stayed up high where you are droping in the notch and made it off the slab but caught a square edged rock right after that.

I think the rock I circled is the one I caught

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.