Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
DOME Freeride Mafia
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's time to start planning the next Memorial Day bike trip. Last year it was Moab and we had a blast. None of us minds a bit of hill climbing, just as long as the downhill is worth it. We're considering Fruita, CO or Park City, UT right now, maybe even Zion. Is Park City likely to have remaining snowpack at that time? We're looking for lengthy rides with (hopefully) plenty of freeriding additions (ramps, teets, skinnys, etc.). Does anyone have any other suggestions? I found this list a minute ago:

-Breckenridge Freeride Park, Breckenridge, Colorado
-Keystone Resort, Summit County, Colorado
-Moore Fun Trail, Fruita, Colorado
-Silverton Mountain, Silverton, Colorado
-Winter Park Resort, Winter Park, Colorado
-Red Rock Canyon, Colorado Springs, Colorado
-Angel Fire, New Mexico
-Deer Valley, Park City, Utah

I'll be driving from northern New Mexico, so that's why everything is in CO, UT or NM (gotta keep it close!).

Thanks in advance

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I never tire of Moab. There's about 8 major trails there that just don't get old...for me at least. We go for two weeks every May and ride some trails at least twice. That said, you mentioned some other good riding locations. Some of those mountain venues will still have snow or mud in May. I've ridden Fruita, and it's fun. I still think Moab edges it out, especially if you like freeriding along the trail. Moab has tons of features along most of its trails that allow some pretty fun stuff. Fruita had some great epic type trails with some gnar thrown in along the way too, just not as much. One option is to do Fruita and Moab both, as they are only a relatively short distance apart. The funny thing is that Angel Fire is actually the closest to me among the ones you mentioned, but I've never been there. I wasn't aware that it had a lot of trail miles as compared to Moab, but it's supposed to have some decent downhill. Sounds like a good weekend deal.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Don't go to northern UT at that time of year, Park City/Deer Valley. There is bound to still be lots of snow pack. The run off makes for crappy mud sections and ungroomed trails. The resorts up there have less than par trail maintainace too. The resorts up there tend to keep on their winter staff who have no clue about mountain bikes. No berms, lots of breaking bumps, no jumps,..... no flow in general.

I second Moab or Fruita. But for a good time that you won't forget, if you have never been there, go to Zions. The whole Southwest UT region is full of good riding. Goosebury, Flying Monkey, the Wilson's back yard, Rampage course, and others. Each ride you could plan a trip around. All the rides are with in 30mins of each other.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Stinkyboy58 said:
iv seen videos on silverton it looks kick ass
Silverton Mountain doesn't even open until the end of July...

Your only real choice is either Moab or Fruita, anything at high elevation will still have snow around Memorial Day weekend.

·
DOME Freeride Mafia
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the beta. As for doing both Fruita and Moab, well, that's not really a viable option; my two friends are flying in from Minnesota and Michigan, so time's a bit tight. I'll have to look a bit more into Fruita and Zion. I've been to Moab a few times before and I wouldn't mind going back. Plus, we'd be able to get some climbing in in the evenings after we ride! I guess I'll have to save Park City for another time. :cool:
Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
are you from cali? if not, mammoth mtn prk or lake tahoe stuff...or snowshoe, WV..

·
DOME Freeride Mafia
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
adamantane said:
are you from cali? if not, mammoth mtn prk or lake tahoe stuff...or snowshoe, WV..
ebfreerider510 said:
i no this is a little out of your way, but what about bootleg canyon, NV?
I live in Los Alamos, New Mexico (~35 miles NW of Santa Fe). Driving to California is out of the question from here, especially because we only have 4 days. I just looked at Bootleg Canyon, NV (Boulder City, NV), and it'd be quite a drive.
It's so far looking like Moab, Fruita, or Zion is going to be the best bet. I'm pretty familiar with Moab and I know that would be awesome. I'm just looking for something a bit more freeride-ish. Riding on the slickrock is sweet, but it definitely raises the pucker factor when you know that if you wreck, you're hitting solid rock. :eek: Dirt gives a bit more. What's riding in Fruita like? How about Zion?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't click on the link........ just go to peterfagerlin.com and check out some of the fruita vids Joe's Ridge vid is bad ass I'm about to watch the rest

·
Registered
52 Posts
I love fruita. The Moore Fun trail was extremely technical with plenty of freeriding options. Also the single track double back diamond zippy de do da trail was amazing. The town of Fruita is amazing because is all Mountain biking. The main bike shop The Edge Sports are the trail builders in the area so they offer help and tell you exactlly wear and what to ride. This is all coming from someone who drove 30 hours from Knoxville, TN to spent 7 days there. The hotels offer mt bike packages that are resonable. It was worth every penny. Here's a link to some of the trails. The video here is from the trail Joe's Ridge (fast downhill awesome!!!!!) He also has videos of Moore Fun and others ............www.mtbvideos.net/video/joesridge.mpg

·
Registered
896 Posts
Primus said:
Thanks for the beta. As for doing both Fruita and Moab, well, that's not really a viable option;
Of course it is, Moab and Fruita are only about an hour apart. I like Fruita as much, if not more than Moab. Every time I go to Moab I always stop in Fruita as it's on the way, but my next trip I am thinking of skipping Moab all together, Fruita is that good.

·
DOME Freeride Mafia
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jaybirdp said:
I love fruita. The Moore Fun trail was extremely technical with plenty of freeriding options. Also the single track double back diamond zippy de do da trail was amazing. The town of Fruita is amazing because is all Mountain biking. The main bike shop The Edge Sports are the trail builders in the area so they offer help and tell you exactlly wear and what to ride. This is all coming from someone who drove 30 hours from Knoxville, TN to spent 7 days there. The hotels offer mt bike packages that are resonable. It was worth every penny. Here's a link to some of the trails. The video here is from the trail Joe's Ridge (fast downhill awesome!!!!!) He also has videos of Moore Fun and others ............www.mtbvideos.net/video/joesridge.mpg
WheelieMan said:
Of course it is, Moab and Fruita are only about an hour apart. I like Fruita as much, if not more than Moab. Every time I go to Moab I always stop in Fruita as it's on the way, but my next trip I am thinking of skipping Moab all together, Fruita is that good.
I didn't realize that they were so close. We could either camp at Fruita, and make a trip to Moab, or just bag Moab altogether. I'll have to check out the video tomorrow. Jaybirdp: where did you stay? Would you go back or would you stay elsewhere? What about camping? Thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
52 Posts
We stayed at the comfort inn. I believe it was $ 55 a night. I would defintley stay there again. It has a full free breakfast every morning. It's very easy to get bikes in and out of the hotel. Riding down the hotel hall was wierd. I'm going back in april. I'll probably go to Moab also I love Bartlett Wash. As far as camping in Fruita I believe there's camping a the foot of Joe's Ridge.

Attachments

·
DOME Freeride Mafia
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Zion.........................
Yes...........................?

·
DOME Freeride Mafia
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jaybirdp said:
We stayed at the comfort inn. I believe it was $ 55 a night. I would defintley stay there again. It has a full free breakfast every morning. It's very easy to get bikes in and out of the hotel. Riding down the hotel hall was weird. I'm going back in april. I'll probably go to Moab also I love Bartlett Wash. As far as camping in Fruita I believe there's camping a the foot of Joe's Ridge.
That sounds like a great deal. So, assuming we choose Fruita, and we have 3 or 4 days of riding, what specific rides did you do (or not do) that you'd recommend? Any that you don't recommend? Thanks again for all your input on this!

·
DOME Freeride Mafia
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jaybirdp said:
Don't click on the link........ just go to peterfagerlin.com and check out some of the fruita vids Joe's Ridge vid is bad ass I'm about to watch the rest
Just figured out why I wasn't finding what you were talking about: it's not peterfagerlin, it's petefagerlin.com, i.e., http://www.petefagerlin.com/covid.htm Now, time to watch!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah, I agree with WheelieMan. You might also want to post in one of the CO forums (Front Range or Western slope). But then you'd probably get TOO MUCH advice.... :D

That early in the year either the ski resorts trails won't be open or half of them (the good stuff at the top) will be closed.

I think you're on the right track with doing Moab AND Fruita. I've done both in just two days. It is definitely feasible. One more stop you should DO (not just consider) is hit up the trails in GJ (Grand Junction). They've got some great trails like Fruita, but much more Freerider-ish. I'm talking about the trails in the Tagabuche (sp?) area. They are SWEET! GJ is about 15 minutes from Fruita. The guys at any bike shop in that area can give you the full skinny.

Attached is a pic of one of the "moves" on a trail in GJ. Dubbed the "Lemon Squeezer", you have to treat this like a small wall ride in order to get through it. Fun stuff!

Oh yeah - There's a race at Angel Fire May 20-21. Since you're so close I'd definitely hit that. Even though it's not on your Memorial Day time frame.

Attachments

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
WheelieMan said:
Silverton Mountain doesn't even open until the end of July...

Your only real choice is either Moab or Fruita, anything at high elevation will still have snow around Memorial Day weekend.
Although the Angelfire race is before Memorial day weekend this year...we'll see how well that goes. :p

But yeah just about all the Colorado locations and most stuff in the mountains at a relatively high elevation will have snowpack still. :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts