Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to Fruita and Moab for a few weeks in April. Looking for tire recommendations. Right now I am riding a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.3 and really like them in the NW's sticky conditions. But maybe their not the best rollers out there?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Well, I've been to Fruita several times and ran various tires and never had any tire issues. I almost always run a Nobby Nic up front but out back, I've run Geax Saguaro, Specialized Ground Control and various Continentals. Haven't been to Moab yet but go to Gooseberry often (including tomorrow) and the shop there has Continental Trail Kings on all their rentals. It's also what I'm currently running on the new Pivot Mach 6.

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
Fat and moderately aggressive out front, moderately fat and fast rolling in the back. Tubeless FTW. I prefer Maxxis, but Conti is good as well.

Examples:
26" : DHF 2.5 front, Larsen TT 2.35 or Crossmark 2.25 rear
27.5" : HR2 2.4 front, Ikon 2.35 rear
29": Ardent 2.4 or DHR2 2.3 front, Ikon 2.35 or Ardent 2.25 rear

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
Fat and moderately aggressive out front, moderately fat and fast rolling in the back. Tubeless FTW.
This.

2.3/2.4 in front, and whatever in the back.

For the most part, it's irrelevant. But bigger is better in the broken slickrock and sand.

I typically pull out whatever tires are just about dead and run them. 1 mile in Moab = about 20 miles worth of wear, so don't waste your money on spendy new tires.

·
Man of Faith
96 Posts
Just returned from a week in Fruita/GJ/Moab. Running Spec. Ground Controls on both ends. Worked great. Washed out once up front in the sand on Porc. Rim. Definitely showed their wear after a week but not a single slice or leak (running tubeless/Stan's). Hammering pretty hard through those rock gardens. I'm 220 geared up. Pressures: front 28, rear 32psi. BKOB

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
I bought a pair of Continental Mountain King's at the bike shop last year at the OTE bike shop in Fruita, had pretty good performance from them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.