Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in Fruita for the first time with some buddies this week for four days of riding. Hoping to get some advice for what trails are smooth enough to ride full rigid with confidence, and what trails would be better ridden with full suspension. I bought the Fruita Trail Guide, but it doesn't really give much info as to the roughness of each of the trails, except to say there are some very smooth rides in the Bookcliffs. I've heard of the "drop in" at Horsethief in the Kokopellis, which sounds nasty, but this appears to be only a small section of the trail.

While I'm sure there are folks like "Chet" mentioned in the Fruita book who ride anything on a rigid, this is my first time at Fruita. Other factors include early season bum conditioning, moderate fitness levels, and we will be riding till we drop every day. So, looking to ride the best bike for the trail condition.

Our rough plan, depending on weather and injuries:
Day 1: Marys, Horsethief, Steves, Handcuffs, Lions
Day 2: Bookcliffs, Frontside and as many of others as possible
Day 3: Edge Loop
Day 4: TBD

Thanks for your input.

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
Edge Loop is not ready. You can ride the lower parts of it, but there is still snow up top. other than that, everything should be fine. As far as the bike choices, the Kokopelli is a bit bumpier than the Bookcliffs. The Bookcliffs is absolutely wonderful on a fully rigid ss.

That said, I know an old lady that rides all of those on her rigid ss, but she's slow.

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
it all is good rigid
it all is good suspended
I usually ride a bike similiar to what the rest of the group has.
Unless you have something to prove.

The Bookcliffs/18 road is smoother than the other areas.
I plan on doing the Edge loop this week,I will post trail conditions here or check with OTE, you will not have a good time if you hit the Edge loop to soon.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Kansasflatlander said:
Day 1: Marys, Horsethief, Steves, Handcuffs, Lions
Day 2: Bookcliffs, Frontside and as many of others as possible
Day 3: Edge Loop
Day 4: TBD

Thanks for your input.
Sounds like a good way to sample a bunch of trails in the area. My opinions:

I wasn't impressed with Frontside. The view from the top was great, but for the time it takes I'd rather hit more trails fromthe 18 road parking lot, Chutes, Zip, Joes, Primecut/Kessel.

TBD: Rabbit Valley has a bit of an undeveloped feel that I enjoy, a bit more navigation is required to get around out there, not as much signage, etc. A more popular place (as it should be) is the Lunch Loop area in Grand Junction. Fun stuff, different from other venues in the valley. Also has the Ribbon trail.

Ride whatever you want. My trip out there a couple weeks ago had everything from 6x6 bikes to rigid ss bikes.

If you want more of my personal take on the area pm me and I'll help out as much as possible.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the advice

Okay, Bookcliffs with rigid for sure. Thanks for the info on the Edge loop and I think we may also try Lunch Loop area. Not sure what is harder on the bum, a six hour ride on a rigid, or a 13 hour drive in the car to get there.

·
Registered
662 Posts
We just finished a long ride on the lunch loops today. I rode my rigid Karate Monkey, My buddy rode his Intense 5.5. Both of us had a blast. You can't go wrong out there. The climbs are amazing compared to what I'm used to in the DC area. We managed almost 4000 feet of climbing in about 20 miles.

Thanks to all the locals for making this trip so perfect. We leave Wed. and that is too soon in my book. St. George beckons though.

Take care. Have a great trip.

Peter

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
We rode all of the above. Thanks for the tips. We've moved on to St. George for the rest of the week.

As a side note, It looked like the land owner on the private property section of the 3 trail at Rabbit Valley is closing that section of trail. He'd piled every available rock and boulder onto the trail.

I'll post up photos when I get home next week. Not that y'all need to see them since you're locals. ;)

Thanks!

Peter

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Objectionable Material said:
We rode all of the above. Thanks for the tips. We've moved on to St. George for the rest of the week.

As a side note, It looked like the land owner on the private property section of the 3 trail at Rabbit Valley is closing that section of trail. He'd piled every available rock and boulder onto the trail.

I'll post up photos when I get home next week. Not that y'all need to see them since you're locals. ;)

Thanks!

Peter
That shows as closed on the Lattitude 40 map for the area also.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Debaser said:
That shows as closed on the Lattitude 40 map for the area also.
I was using the Fruita Fat Tire guide. It talks about the private property, but made it sound like it was okay to ride. I would definitely say that it isn't okay to ride at this point.

I talked to Troy and he was a bit surprised to hear about it. I guess not that many people go out there. We'll explore it more next trip.

Lions loop was really torn up by jeep traffic after the rain. The upper part of Handcuffs was completely cowed up. Riding with rigid forks was a little tiring since it was pretty much jack hammering for a mile or two. It'll smooth out in time.

Thanks.

Peter

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Objectionable Material said:
I talked to Troy and he was a bit surprised to hear about it. I guess not that many people go out there. We'll explore it more next trip.
It's obviously blocked at the other end also. Bummer, looks like it used to be a great little trail.

·
MRI Magnet Quencher Fixer
632 Posts
Edge loop is just wet. I was up there yesterday.

screampint said:
Edge Loop is not ready. You can ride the lower parts of it, but there is still snow up top. other than that, everything should be fine. As far as the bike choices, the Kokopelli is a bit bumpier than the Bookcliffs. The Bookcliffs is absolutely wonderful on a fully rigid ss.

That said, I know an old lady that rides all of those on her rigid ss, but she's slow.
Yesterday it was dry. After todays rain, well you get the picture. No snow though.

TJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.