Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am going to Fruita with some friends next week and am STOKED! I have never been there, but the guys I am going with have, and they have the trip pretty much planned out from start to finish. I need some advice though. I have a friend that is coming out for the last couple of days that we are there, so I need to plan some rides with her too. The thing is, she is a beginner and I don't want to take her down stuff that is too technical right out of the gate because this will be her first time on any real trails. The guys I am going with ride the more technical stuff there, so they only suggested Mary's Loop and Horsethief for easy rides. Are there any other trails that any of you could suggest?
Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
rfields4013 said:
The guys I am going with ride the more technical stuff there, so they only suggested Mary's Loop and Horsethief for easy rides. Are there any other trails that any of you could suggest?
Thanks
Add rustler's and steve's (to mary's and horsetheif - though horsetheif has a section or two that may need to be walked). A fair amount of 18 rd isn't too bad. Obviously prime cut. Joe's ride (walk the namesake). I haven't ridden it, but I'd guess Kessel Run. best yet, stop by OTE and buy the book and/or ask the employees for suggestions.

·
Rides Uphill Slow
487 Posts
rfields4013 said:
Hey everyone. I am going to Fruita with some friends next week and am STOKED! I have never been there, but the guys I am going with have, and they have the trip pretty much planned out from start to finish. I need some advice though. I have a friend that is coming out for the last couple of days that we are there, so I need to plan some rides with her too. The thing is, she is a beginner and I don't want to take her down stuff that is too technical right out of the gate because this will be her first time on any real trails. The guys I am going with ride the more technical stuff there, so they only suggested Mary's Loop and Horsethief for easy rides. Are there any other trails that any of you could suggest?
Thanks
I agree with red_ivan. the trail off of 18rd are pretty tame. Prime Cut, Chutes and Ladders( well the first part is up and down kinda steep for a newbie but do able but the back part is a blast for someone just starting out. I took a friend that was not too experienced down Zippity,not reccomended for beginners but she just walked the sections that she couldn't ride. We all have walked parts of trails and it's just part of the learning curve. As long as she knows this she will have a great time on those trails.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

for the advice guys, that helps me out a lot. She is really excited about getting into the sport, so I did not want to take her on anything that would be discouraging right off the bat.
Thanks again. :D

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
if you ride in the Grand Junction area, many of the trails there are ok for beginners too, gunny loop, lunch loop, etc...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Definitely start her on Rustler's loop. It is the ULTIMATE beginner's loop. She'll love it. I also would recommend Prime Cut and Kessel Run. Not Mary's/ Horesethief unless she thought the others were too easy (which I doubt). I see beginner's struggling on those all the time.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool! Thanks Billybobzia and Mtnlyon. I will look into those as well. Isn't Rustlers Loop the one with little instruction stations on it also? She would probably think that was cool. Thanks again, you guys have all been very helpful. I was kind of at a loss having never been out there, and I knew that I wouldn't be able to take her on the trails that I will be riding with my friends.
Thanks again

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
My wife enjoyed prime cut, was a little hesitant on kessel run, as it's got a lot of turns and quick little ups and downs, but she ended up liking that too after a little coaching.

We rode some of the lower stuff at the Lunch Loop trail head also: she liked the main road and some of the easier side trails, and the geology, but ended up turning around and waiting at the car while I rode some of the harder stuff.

Next time we're out we'll do some riding out near Rabbit Valley.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
rfields4013 said:
Cool! Thanks Billybobzia and Mtnlyon. I will look into those as well. Isn't Rustlers Loop the one with little instruction stations on it also? She would probably think that was cool. Thanks again, you guys have all been very helpful. I was kind of at a loss having never been out there, and I knew that I wouldn't be able to take her on the trails that I will be riding with my friends.
Thanks again
Yes, if they get the signs back on...Actually rustler's is one of the more scenic trails there. You have excellent overlookd to the river and awesome sandstone backdrops like Horsethief.

Like others said, do Prime cut too and even joes if she is up for it. And even if joes it too scary for here, ride up the road and do kessel..that is a winner!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.