Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a thread on this a couple yrs back - and it garnered some interesting responses - but seeing that nothing has changed up on the trails - thought it might be a good time to bring to light again.

On all the multi-use trails I ride in front range - Falcon, Apex, NTM, Grn Mt - there is an unbelievable amount of broken glass - and usually strategically distributed around many sections that are technical or fast -

I know you who ride must see it. One response was about "kids drinking and smashing their bottles" - but most of the glass is flat, clear window pane glass - yes - there are times when there is some colored glass - but no other evidence that someone just threw down a beer bottle - i/e/ - bigger chunks, labels attached etc... its obvious this just isnt the case.

I guess it really irks me that some cowardly, no-faced a-hole is doing something deliberate to what - hurt mtb'ers? hikers? other?? (dogs?)

And are doing it all over the place - make no mistake - its intentional and has been for years.

I have stopped and cleaned off sections where it's clear its newly placed and in quantity - yesterday on NTM was no exception and I also took some pix of the evidence...

the good news is - i've never flatted or had a ride ruined - so maybe its really not a big deal as a rider - but would only take 1x right? However - as a dog owner, family man - and realizing how many people hike with dogs or kids, I guess Im more peeved that this cowardly action could hurt a beloved family member - and for what?? I guess my social conscience is slightly incensed.

my sense is - this is happening in the late night or early morning hrs - so please - so please - if you see someone or an action that doesnt seem right - speak up - cuz chances are if your spidey senses are tingling - something is wrong.

Ok - done with my rant... let's hope NOONE - human or pet - ever get hurt because of someones cowardly, feeble, weak minded and sub-human intent.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Snakes and broken window panes widening the sh*t outta that trail eh. The real travesty is more beers aren't available in cans so this crap doesn't happen.

For real though, that's poor form if malicious, but a really weak attempt in my opinion. And I have lots of em.

My guess is a Zima bottle

·
Registered
209 Posts
It'd be pretty hard to flat from broken glass. not to say the litter aspect of it sucks. we'll never rid the world of reckless ambivalent teens, so I'd say its prolly not worth the effort to chase it down.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
It'd be pretty hard to flat from broken glass. not to say the litter aspect of it sucks. we'll never rid the world of reckless ambivalent teens, so I'd say its prolly not worth the effort to chase it down.
Flat glass really is pretty benign. A little more of a threat to dogs, but even then a dog's paw pads get pretty tough. If there were curved pieces like from the corners of bottles, that would be bad, but...

If somebody is doing this as an attempt to booby trap, since it's so lame it's probably actually kind of a good thing. They are satisfying their d-bag energy with something that's almost certain to be ineffectual. If they realized how lame an effort that is, they might go buy some wire.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Given the history of NTM and STM, broken glass isn't uncommon. Both mesas we're popular party spots and dumping grounds for decades. Before that, both were extensively mined. Some of the other trails you list have seen use since the late 19th Century. Apex used to be a wagon road. Imagine delivering window panes going up that.

Humans leave behind a lot of trash.

Have you let JCOS know about your finds?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Given the history of NTM and STM, broken glass isn't uncommon. Both mesas we're popular party spots and dumping grounds for decades. Before that, both were extensively mined. Some of the other trails you list have seen use since the late 19th Century. Apex used to be a wagon road. Imagine delivering window panes going up that.

Humans leave behind a lot of trash.

Have you let JCOS know about your finds?
So it could be Zima!

·
Registered
206 Posts
This happens at our local trail, but not for the reason one would think. Part of the trail crosses an old dump site from the early 20th century. As rains come and go, glass resurfaces. I clean the section once a year, but it usually comes back in about 6-8 months. Are you sure that it isn't what is happening here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.