Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know about you guys, but I really dug the trail conditions this weekend due to the ground being frozen. Climbs were a lot easier, frozen tire tracks made for an interesting technical challenge, and a bunch of cool little berms swelled up from the ground. In my mind, this is the best time of year to ride.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Took the hardtail out for a spin Saturday -- spent all of 15 minutes pedaling before my freezing heiny was back indoors. I tend to make up for cold-weather biking by spending time in Campmor instead.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Great Riding,...stop whinning

I rode with the JORBA crew at Basto. My HR was averaging 150 for the 3 hour 10 minute, 17 mile tour. It was grand. Basto is best ridden when frozen, just make sure you wear a balaclava and booties!

I work outdoors so I'm in it from 630 am to 5 pm. If you dress properly, anyone would quickly realize there is so much fun to be had in the winter. I just wished I could have ridden this morning in all that fresh snow!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amen brotha. Anyone who doesn't ride because it's too cold, trust me on this one: you will be warm enough. Just dress right and you'll be sweatin' in no time. All I had on was a medium-weight fleece shirt over a long-sleeve sweat-wicking shirt and I was comfortable the whole time. Be sure to cover those ears with one of those hoods and wear heavier gloves.

So try it guys. If you're cold the 1st five minutes, that's fine because you'll be good and toasty half way up that 1st climb.

·
i want spring!
480 Posts
I rode at...

bikestud said:
I don't know about you guys, but I really dug the trail conditions this weekend due to the ground being frozen. Climbs were a lot easier, frozen tire tracks made for an interesting technical challenge, and a bunch of cool little berms swelled up from the ground. In my mind, this is the best time of year to ride.
i rode at 6 mile and my bike was caked in the mud. the cold weather wasn't a problem but doing a stream crossing in a foot of water was a slight problem. The right gear helps and buying winter gear when online places have their clearance sale helps out alot.

here's some pics of my bike...

~db

Attachments

·
i want spring!
480 Posts
i had lost..

marzz said:
Those pics remind me of my last ride at 6 mile- I came out caked in mud with a broken derraileur, hanger and chainring. Was on a 5-spot as well.
i lost my front brake, well the brake pad, so that added to my excitement. it took me 3 days to clean my bike, well maybe my laziness made it take so long to do.

i'm definitely going back this weekend!

~db

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ringwood ruled on Saturday, all the single track was super hard like a BMX track.

We climbed up to Pierson's Ridge and bombed pretty much all single track all the way down to the school, so sweet!

Saw a couple other guys out there a little below the air field, but that was it besides seeing some tire tracks in the snow in spots.

·
Registered
202 Posts
What a difference a few miles can make,6 mile pics look quite muddy.After both days at Chimney my bike was probably cleaner then when I started,rarely clean my bike. Chimney was frozen solid,looks good for coming weekend as well:D

·
Registered
524 Posts
This afternoon was some nice riding weather. I hit Allaire for 2 hours and ended up gettin a nice ride in. The trails were nice today. Gotta love these weather conditions.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
All this talk about winter riding has got me motivated. I will attempt to hit Chimney Rock tomorrow i think. I tend to easily get numb hands and feet and don't take well to cold, so am only going to consider this a test run. I have booties, jacket, and a head warmer. I need to get a hold of some way of keeping my legs warm and some sort of winter gloves today.

I'll try and get there around noon (flexable) saturday if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ive been wearing a some specialized tights with my baggy shorts over them, a thermal shirt with a t-shirt and a long sleeve t-shirt plus my jersey over that. On my feet I wear a pair of regular socks with my cycling socks and a pair of snowboard socks over them which i pull up to my knees. Over the shoes I wear some shoe covers. I've just been using my regular riding gloves on my hands and just the helmet on my head. For me this us the perfect combo of gear, and I've been staying warm throughout my rides. The key for me is keeping my feet warm. My toes are always the first things to get numb on me. Once I got the shoe covers it solved that though. It's a little colder now than it was on wednesday though, so if I go for a ride this weekend I may have to add a layer or something. You should be fine Brian, just remember to wear some extra socks and dress in layers. Once you get out there and start riding the last thing you'll be thinkin of is the temp, trust me. Once you get goin and ride for a few mins you build up some body heat and as long as you don't stop for too long you can maintain it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.