Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Diamondback Response Sport, and my front shocks are RST Gila+, when it's cold outside, they freeze up, no compression what so ever.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's no fun. What kind of shocks don't use that kind of spring? When I upgrade I know what to not get. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Richard H. said:
Well that's no fun. What kind of shocks don't use that kind of spring? When I upgrade I know what to not get. Thanks for the reply.
There are 3 kinds: air, coil, and MCU.
Air "spring" works with air in a chamber.
Coil... are just a metallic coil inside the fork.
MCU is a "rubber" material that compresses. As noted by mtnbiker72, it gets stiffer in cold weather.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
MCU and Elastomer sprung forks are all but obsolete except for maybe the really cheap forks (which sadly, an RST Gila is). So if you stick to the name brands such as RockShox, Marzocchi, Fox, or Manitou you'll be riding either an air sprung or coil sprung fork. The spring in these are generally not too affected by temperature...although the oil in the dampeners can be in really cold weather.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.