Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Singletrack Addict
1,165 Posts
I'm researching glove liners an such, but wondering what you all have for gloves/liners, to prevent your fingers from feeling like they are going to crack off.
I have had great luck with these:
Bald Eagle Thinsulate with Pigskin gloves. I just did a quick search; I cannot recommend the merchant necessarily, but I did find them at the Ace Hardware in Sandy Oregon last year. I'm in the market for another pair, not just for the cold wet riding season, but because I work in a refrigerated environment and these also work well for schlepping cold boxes of meat.

I bet you can find them at a Coastal or other farm and ranch type supply store. They're not exactly waterproof, but the thinsulate will keep your digits warm even when wet.

·
highly visible
3,283 Posts
Cheap Thinsulate work gloves, like Shiggy and Snake Muesl. I have them in two different weights, one (Gorgonz? From Home Cheapo, I think) for temps in the 40s and a warmer pair (Kinco) for the 30s. Then I switch to ski gloves once it drops into the 20s.

·
Registered
859 Posts
In colorado I have had frozen hands even with ski gloves before, on long descents. I think the ultimate for super cold weather is the handlebar cover style, like this:

GO PRO POLAR HANDS

That's what I see the alaska fat tire riders using.

This winter I'm thinking about trying the ghetto version with some 2 liter pop bottles as windshields. Also probably will go with flat pedals and winter boots - in below 20 degree weather my lakes just don't do the trick.

·
Registered
14,368 Posts
In colorado I have had frozen hands even with ski gloves before, on long descents. I think the ultimate for super cold weather is the handlebar cover style, like this:

GO PRO POLAR HANDS

That's what I see the alaska fat tire riders using.

This winter I'm thinking about trying the ghetto version with some 2 liter pop bottles as windshields. Also probably will go with flat pedals and winter boots - in below 20 degree weather my lakes just don't do the trick.
Those things kick arse and I use something similar for sea kayaking in windy/cold weather. One thing that has always worked for me for aggressive cold weather riding is goggles for the eyes and I just use chemical packet warmers on the back of my hands. I just stuff them in my glove on the back of my hand. This contacts almost all the veins warming the blood on the way to your fingers. Not as comfortable as thick gloves but you get better control with regular riding gloves and works quite well.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.