Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

Anyone tried those little toe covers or foot covers from Pearl Izumi? Temps while riding have been around 35 degrees and my feet are numb within 45 minutes. They are quite spendy and I don't want to spend the cash if they don't work. I have tried all different socks, but they still freeze. I'd appreciate any insight.

Tyler

·
Registered
139 Posts
Be careful, these types of questions are getting asked somewhat frequently. Do a little searching. You'll probably hear about the chemical warmers from someone soon.

Easyskankin' said:
Hey.

Anyone tried those little toe covers or foot covers from Pearl Izumi? Temps while riding have been around 35 degrees and my feet are numb within 45 minutes. They are quite spendy and I don't want to spend the cash if they don't work. I have tried all different socks, but they still freeze. I'd appreciate any insight.

Tyler

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Not needed at 35.

bigbadwimp said:
Be careful, these types of questions are getting asked somewhat frequently. Do a little searching. You'll probably hear about the chemical warmers from someone soon.

We are talking about close to, or right at, freezing? REI made/makes some Gore-Tex oversocks that are great. I ride 45 in the rain down to 5 or so with XC socks, my oversocks, and my Dominator 4's. It is simply a windproof barrier that is fairly waterproof.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Winter boots

Are the only way to go, I know they cost money but they will extend your riding.
After years and years of winter riding I finally bought Lake MXZ300 boots and am very pleased.
I figure the decreased wear and tear on my summer shoes and cleats make it less expensive in the long run.
I saw Lake and Answer boots on sale at Nashbar or Performace, I forget.
It's 25 and icy here, I think I will go for a ride...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Gator booty..

Personally, if I was at a point that toe covers were being considered, I'd go all the way to shoe covers. Last year, I picked up a pair of Gator bootys at REI for about 30 bucks. This was the only brand I could find that made a booty specifically designed for mtb shoes (generally bigger) and accomodated my SPD clips. I've ridden with the Gators in all kinds of conditions below 40F (above that, just use Stormsocks or thicker wool socks). As the other posters said, this comes down to personal preference and when you tend to get cold in the extremities. For me, it's regular bike socks and bootys below 40, I supplement them with Grabber Mycoal toe warmers down around 30F.. switch to full foot warmers below 20F, use Stormsocks and footwarmers below 0F. One other thing to think about on the bootys is that, besides warmth, they are waterproof and keep water/slush/salt off your shoes.. they also can be washed.

I know REI still sells Gators because I saw them at the store last week. Price Point has them too:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14...her-Gear/Gator-All-Terrain-Mountain-Booty.htm

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Easyskankin' said:
Hey.

Tyler
Patagonia Capilene inner socks with thick wool socks over them do the trick for me. I have Pearl Izumi shoe covers, but have yet to use them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks for the ideas...I saw the Gator Booties at REI the other day so maybe I'll check them out and look for a pair of the gortex sock things while I'm there. It's sunny and about 30 degrees now and we're headed up for a ride. One more time with cold feet can't kill me, but I guess it's time to shell out some cash for comfort. Thanks again.

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
Old hiking adage.....

If your feet are cold, wear a hat.
I have ridden as low as 4 degrees F comfortably. Make sure that you have circulation room in your shoes or pedal in hiking boots. For me its wool sox, duct taped vents on shoes, gore tex sox, then over booties. I like the heavier trek version with rubber reinforced soles.
As for the head, you already know 85% of heat loss ocurs there. Duct tape your vents, one at a time so you can adjust ventilation. I wear a thin wool skull cap or a fleece balaclava.
Get shell gloves for your hands so you can adjust on the trail.

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
Easyskankin' said:
Hey.

Anyone tried those little toe covers or foot covers from Pearl Izumi?
Tyler
The toe covers work pretty well in that temp range. I picked up the Hind toe booties for 9.95 a few months ago at Performance. No need paying $20.00 for PI. You have to watch them. They have a tendency to slip off if you have to do any unclipping or walking. I only have one now.

I agree with the others about the full coverage booties. Very nice. I'm just wearing a regular bike sock with a medium weight long wool sock over that with my regular shoes and the Performance fleece insulated neoprene full coverage booties (paid $19.99) and have been good and toasty down to Zero F so far. Full rubber soul. Works well with my Time ATAC pedal. Order One and a half to two sizes bigger than your regular shoe size.

PS: If anyone finds a Hind neoprene toe cover on Fossil canyon in the Cowboy Trails in Vegas I'd like it back. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts