Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yep.

dubthang said:
Do you feel that you could go wider than the Gordo, and still have a great handling bike up front?
Sooner than later I plan on running a FAT Front w/PUG Fork and using a Large Marge/Larry Combo.

Might be pretty heavy but I don't really care.

PF

·
Gigantic Hawk
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PanFry said:
Sooner than later I plan on running a FAT Front w/PUG Fork and using a Large Marge/Larry Combo.

Might be pretty heavy but I don't really care.

PF
I tried out a fat Carver last summer. The thing was awesome, but the tires (Endos) go with the rims. I'm trying to figure out if there is a line where rim width becomes to great for the currently available 29er tires out there. Would a KH 47mm render a 2.4 to 'square' to have good traction up front?

Do you feel that you could get away with a wider front rim, and still get positive results on your current setup?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well...

dubthang said:
I tried out a fat Carver last summer. The thing was awesome, but the tires (Endos) go with the rims. I'm trying to figure out if there is a line where rim width becomes to great for the currently available 29er tires out there. Would a KH 47mm render a 2.4 to 'square' to have good traction up front?

Do you feel that you could get away with a wider front rim, and still get positive results on your current setup?
I could absolutely get away with using a KH Rim and my WTB Kodiak. Should work out great. But, if I were to go wider it would be all the way with the Large Marge 26"/3.8 Larry. I wouldn't see the point in using a KH if I already own a GORDO. For a 29" wheel the GORDO is as wide/heavy as I am willing to go.

Also, the Surly Larry Tire is much better for trail riding over the Endo IMHO.

PF

·
Gigantic Hawk
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't riden the Larry yet so I'm sure you are correct. It certainly looks better traction wise.

I find the whole rim sitution interesting because of the weights of the different rims. It doesn't allow for easy desisions.

The P35 is ~600g. The KH 38mm and 47mm both are ~800g. The Gordo is ~700g.

The Gordo costs more than the others which makes the P35 a better choice (I'm not a clyde so I can get away with Velocity rims.) Comparing the KH rims to the Gordo, it's only 100g for a stronger, wider, and cheaper rim. Lots of thinking to do.

·
Underskilled
4,816 Posts
I ride the KH and it is amazing, it squares off every tyre I have put on it.
Stout and Weirwolf are faves.

The squared tyre gets more tread down, so much more traction, and is more stable.

best upgrade ever.

·
Gigantic Hawk
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CaveGiant said:
I ride the KH and it is amazing, it squares off every tyre I have put on it.
Stout and Weirwolf are faves.

The squared tyre gets more tread down, so much more traction, and is more stable.

best upgrade ever.
Do you have the trials 47mm or the xc 38mm?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I remember years ago, Trek was putting narrow road rims on their MTB bikes. Now the rage is super wide rims. Personally I don't like a real wide rim because it does square the tires off too much. On cars I can see square tires but not on bikes that lean over. Do you ever see motorcycles with square tires that handle worth a dang?

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
richwolf said:
Do you ever see motorcycles with square tires that handle worth a dang?
Do you ever see motorcycles with 19mm rims? Bigger tires work better on bigger rims.

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
A rear dirt bike tire is more square than you'd think. But the front sure isn't. It's a little different situation with the rear of the dirt bike...they're designed for max traction when the wheel is broken loose and spinning like mad. The front is designed to hook up in a turn...rounded profile.

·
Gigantic Hawk
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CaveGiant said:
I have the FR on the front and XC on the back.

Why do you ask?

P
I asked because I was trying to find out the max width one could go with the front rim before it adversely affects handling.

As for motorcycles, I think they aren't really in the same boat. They have bigger tires to begin with. They also have instant power which mountain bikes can't really mimic. Motorcycles also use their power to overcome their extra weight. They have extra weight because they are built to withstand greater abuses. ...And they have suspension.

29" rigid ss mountain bikes (as I was referring to in my original post) haven't been around nearly as long as motorcycles. Therefore they don't have the parts to back them up. The new lighter, more rugged parts are great, but not everything has been created yet. Proper tires are still in their infancy. This is why we, as riders, may have to settle for a slightly less-than-ideal profile to get better flotation, traction, and pinch flat protection.

·
Underskilled
4,816 Posts
The key difference is the tyre pressure.
If I was running at 50psi the squaring off would cause an issue, I am not.

I weigh 210lb ride very hard, yet the combined tyre pressure for both tyre going to work yesterday was lower than 20!

This means the tyre changes shape hugely as you lean into a corner, it maintains the HUGE footprint. You would not believe the traction I have.

The only disadvantage I have noticed is minor, when trackstanding it is quite hard to turn the front wheel as you have so much grip, so I had to slightly change my balance when I do it.

The advantage is that level of grip when cornering fast.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.