Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gigantic Hawk
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a rigid 29'er on the rocky, rooty xc trails of New England. I am looking to build up a new wheel set this winter for the upcoming summer, and was wondering...

Is there a rim width for the front wheel that one should not exceed? In other words, given today's biggest front tire widths (2.35 2.4 2.5,) is there a point where the rim width would be too wide to provide a good tire profile for xc riding? I'm looking for maximum volume up front, but still want solid traction for corners and whatnot.

My current (stock) setup for the front is a WTB Speeddisc (26mm) with a 2.2 Nev. I feel that this is the narrowest one should go. I have been looking at the Velocity P35's (my 26'er has had Aeroheats on it for 16 years without issue) which are 35mm. I have also been checking out the KH 47mm trials rim, but am unsure if this would be too wide, providing more negative than positive riding characteristics for non winter usage. Both would be run with a 2.4 tire.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Administrator
11,695 Posts
I think there are a few guys running the KH 47mm but they also have a smaller KH 38mm rim. Similar in weight and size to the Gordo and just size to the P35. I also recall that the 47mm KH rim is available in 36h only so that may force your hand as well.

·
Gigantic Hawk
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen both of Kris Holm's rims. They seem like a very good product from what I've read. The 47 and the 38 weight the same which is what got me thinking about running the 47. My concern is whether or not 47mm is too big for a front wheel when used in non-snowy conditions. The 38mm, I feel, is so close in size to the P35 that I'd rather run the Velocity to get the weight savings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts