Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last AM outing i had an encounter with the ground..it resulted in a bent front wheel. Is there a site where i can just purchase one front wheel instead of buying a wheel set? Oh and heres a pic for your amusement...

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
may be fixable
but online shops will sell single wheels - so will your LBS

Looks like you jacked your rotor up too :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think the rotor is fine but ill double check since i didnt really pay attention to it. Do any of you have links to a good online store to purchase a single wheel? Only one i know of is price point but they only sell sets

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jetta_mike said:
Just take to a shop and see if they can true the wheel. Doesn`t look to bad.
will that affect the reliability of the wheel in the future? I dont want it to buckle on me at some random time

·
bike-zilla
241 Posts
eliassami5 said:
will that affect the reliability of the wheel in the future? I dont want it to buckle on me at some random time
No, not unless you did serious damage to the rim, while you are at it have your lbs true/tension the back too, proper spoke tension is what can make or brake a wheel in terms of strength. If, despite proper tension, you keep tearing up your wheels, then I think would be the time to upgrade to a stronger rim.

·
Registered
304 Posts
jetta_mike said:
Just take to a shop and see if they can true the wheel. Doesn`t look to bad.
Doesn't look too bad? You're kidding right? I bet you dollars to donuts that if that wheel is unlaced and put on a flat surface the rim will be at least slightly bowed. Which means it's going to be hard to evenly distribute tension around the wheel which is a major influencing factor in wheels remaining true over time and abuse.

It's worth taking a shot to try and true it but if someone came to my shop with a wheel in that shape used on a nice bike that gets hucked around a fair bit I would suggest unlacing (or at least detensioning) the wheel, check/replacing the rim and lacing/tension it up again.Better to build it 'right' than correct what is already 'wrong'. You might even luck out and be able to reuse the same rim.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,816 Posts
eliassami5 said:
i think the rotor is fine
What did your double checking tell you? The rotor looks more tacoed than the wheel.

EDIT: BTW, I don't think that wheel is going to be able to be "saved".

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
that is often more expensive than a new wheel, especially since it seems like he is running mostly low-end gear, judging from the dart, mechanical disk brake, and nevegal

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks pretty warped. If you still intend to true it back, it might be better to take off the rim itself and bend it back [gently] on some surface, then true it down with the spokes.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Unless the rim is dented or cracked it doesn't look very bad and could be fixed true and reliably by a descent wheel builder.

Get a new rotor.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Lambdamaster said:
that is often more expensive than a new wheel, especially since it seems like he is running mostly low-end gear, judging from the dart, mechanical disk brake, and nevegal
Quality of build is just as important if not more important than the quality of the materials. A machine cannot replicate the attention to detail a decent wheelbuilder will put into a build. It should not cost him more to get his wheel relaced with a new rim than ordering a new wheel of equivalent quality.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I double checked the rotor and its fine, the picture was taken with my phone so its not of the best quality. I spun the wheel and kept my eye on the rotor and its perfectly straight.

Im gonna take it to a LBS to see if they can restore it back to normal and see how much that would cost me. I might be better off with just buying a new complete wheel but we'll see.

And yes Lambdamaster is correct on the fact that im not running the most expensive of equipment so getting a lbs to rebuild a whole new wheel for me would probably not be worth it.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
derby said:
Unless the rim is dented or cracked it doesn't look very bad and could be fixed true and reliably by a descent wheel builder.

Get a new rotor.
I can build a wheel - (built/fixed 200? in my life)
I would attempt to fix it personally - I've fixed worse.
That said, w/out knowledge on wheelbuilding, this is not the scenario to learn.
Perhaps, a good wheelbuilder in the area can fix it.
Above exhausted, yeah - a new wheel is in order - maybe get a whole set? - Since a new F. Hub is kinda anti-climatic...
I dunno, It's your wallet OP

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
peedrama said:
Quality of build is just as important if not more important than the quality of the materials. A machine cannot replicate the attention to detail a decent wheelbuilder will put into a build. It should not cost him more to get his wheel relaced with a new rim than ordering a new wheel of equivalent quality.
New rim, new spokes, and a quality wheel-build will certainly come out to be more expensive than a machine-built front wheel alone. I agree with you that a properly hand-built wheel has it's merits, but I doubt it's the most economical path at this price-point. I would love if you can prove me wrong, as I would love to have hand-built wheels that are cheaper than an equivalent machine-built wheel.

To the OP, here are some suggestions. You can find many more at JensonUSA.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH310A00-Shimano+Deore++Wtb+Speeddisc+26+Wheel.aspx
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH298A03-Dt+Swiss+X1800+Wheel.aspx
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH310A01-Shimano+Xt++Wtb+Laserdisc+Trail+Wheel.aspx

I think the DT swiss is a great deal.

·
Registered
304 Posts
There's a reason all high end wheels are hand built, it's simply because they are better engineered than one built by a machine. I can't stress this enough.

Mavic 321 or similar quality rim of same ERD as dead rim if it needs replacing - 30-50$
Reuse hub - Free
Reuse spokes (as they are incredibly resilient pieces of engineering) - Free
Wheel build labour - prices will vary but lets say 50$

so 80-100$ for a well built precisely tensioned and trued wheel. I'm pretty sure you won't find many complete front wheels in a similar realm of quality for that money that are hand built. If I'm wrong and you can get a hand built decent quality wheel for that cheap go for it.

eliassami, what kind of hub do you have on that wheel right now?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts