Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently busted my 01 Joker into two peices. Ellsworth offered to replace it with a Joker 7, and I took them up on the deal. I had been running an 03 Z1 FR Sl with 130mm of travel on my 01 Joker with six inches of rear travel. I am wondering how continuing to run a five inch travel fork with seven inches of suspension in back will affect the feel of the Joker 7. Is anyone out there using a five inch fork on their Joker 7, and if so, how is it treating you?

· Registered
2,474 Posts
It works.

powfiend said:
I recently busted my 01 Joker into two peices. Ellsworth offered to replace it with a Joker 7, and I took them up on the deal. I had been running an 03 Z1 FR Sl with 130mm of travel on my 01 Joker with six inches of rear travel. I am wondering how continuing to run a five inch travel fork with seven inches of suspension in back will affect the feel of the Joker 7. Is anyone out there using a five inch fork on their Joker 7, and if so, how is it treating you?
I ran a Sherman breakout 6" fork on my Joker 7" and would keep it in 5" mode for trail riding and run 6" for the dh portion of a ride. The Joker felt fine when I rode in 5" mode and it did not feel weird or not suited for riding with a 130mm fork. The Joker climbed well when in 5" mode and actually felt like a burly trail bike and not a freeride machine which is more suited to my taste in riding anyways.

With that said, I would recommend using a 6" fork that can be dialed down for going up the hills. With 7" in the back you will get up grade itis and want to go bigger than 5". If you dont though, the current fork you are running will work fine.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, Ronny. This is precicely what I am considering: a six inch fork that has adjustable travel. The problem that I am up against now is that I just bought a new set of Chris King wheels last fall with standard QR hubs. Therefore, I really don't want to go the thru axle route, and six inch QR forks are few. The two forks I have found are the Sherman Flick Plus and and the new Marzocchi All Mountain SL. I dig air forks because you don't need to buy different springs for different purposes (trail riding, freeriding). Thus, I am more prone towards the Zoke, but it does not have the range of adjustable travel that the Sherman has. Also, the Sherman seems like it might be a more burly all around fork.
Any thoughts out there?

· Time is not a road.
4,141 Posts
I would think that 20mm is the way to go on a Joker. You might have some luck selling that hub since CK stuff skyrocketed in price this year. Or you might be able to get a trade for a new one.

I know a bike store that has a '04 Z150 in stock with standard drop outs (I think) so that might be an option.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.