Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been quite happy with the WTB Mutano Raptor Race 2.4 front and Moto Raptor 2.24 rear tire setup I've been running for the past month.

But I'm thinking I may want to change the front to a 2.4 Moto Raptor or something similar when conditions turn soggy around here this fall.

Any thoughts on good front tires for soggy western Oregon conditions, i.e. wet leaves & other veg, wet roots and MUD on trails?

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
riverrat said:
I've been quite happy with the WTB Mutano Raptor Race 2.4 front and Moto Raptor 2.24 rear tire setup I've been running for the past month.

But I'm thinking I may want to change the front to a 2.4 Moto Raptor or something similar when conditions turn soggy around here this fall.

Any thoughts on good front tires for soggy western Oregon conditions, i.e. wet leaves & other veg, wet roots and MUD on trails?
That is where I ride (southern Willamette Valley). I would recommend swapping out both tires.

My List:
  • Panaracer TrailRaker 1.95
  • Kenda Knarly 2.10
  • Hutchinson Spider - any size
  • Geax Blade - any size
  • Schwalbe Black Shark Mud 2.10
  • Maxxis Swampthing 2.1
  • Conti Survival Pro 2.1
Also better than OK in wet
  • Kenda Blue Groove & Nevegal 2.10 and larger
  • Schwalbe Jimmy/Jim series
  • Schwalbe Albert series
  • Nokian NBX 2.1/2.3
  • Michelin XL S 2.10
Did that help or confuse? :p

·
Board n00b
43 Posts
It always amazes me that no one suggests Michelins Comp tires in these forums. The Comp16 in 2.5/2.2 dominates those conditions. Much better than any other slow rebounding tires including Maxxis and the Kenda Tomac series. IMO, the Nevegal is above average for those condition, but I wouldn't trust it as a front tire.

The beauty about the Comp16 is that the tread direction can be reversed for less rolling resistance(ala Highroller). I run the Comp16 reversed in the summer and normal in the wet season.

Try the Comp16 and you'll never go back :)

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
mtb_Chris68 said:
It always amazes me that no one suggests Michelins Comp tires in these forums. The Comp16 in 2.5/2.2 dominates those conditions. Much better than any other slow rebounding tires including Maxxis and the Kenda Tomac series. IMO, the Nevegal is above average for those condition, but I wouldn't trust it as a front tire.

The beauty about the Comp16 is that the tread direction can be reversed for less rolling resistance(ala Highroller). I run the Comp16 reversed in the summer and normal in the wet season.

Try the Comp16 and you'll never go back :)
That is because the Comps are DH tires. All of the tires I listed are much lighter and more supple. I could also list the Arrow Racing Mud X Lite 2.3 (900g+). It grips great on the slop but most of the time I will usually go for a lighter narrower tire that works as well.

·
Board n00b
43 Posts
shiggy??? said:
That is because the Comps are DH tires. All of the tires I listed are much lighter and more supple. I could also list the Arrow Racing Mud X Lite 2.3 (900g+). It grips great on the slop but most of the time I will usually go for a lighter narrower tire that works as well.
Fair enough if 400 - 600 grams means more to one than their connection to the trail, especially in slick conditions.

He did mention the front tire and in being that 60-70% of rolling resistance is on one's rear tire I'd say it was safe to say one could run a heavier, grippier, higher volume tire on the front without creating a measaurble amount of rolling resistance. Nead to go faster, look at the rear tire to decrease rolling resistance.

I'm 37 y/o and ride a Giant AC(~40lbs) with a 2.5 Comp16 front and Nevagal 2.5(Cap-Ply) rear. I ride up and down and this bike does both very well. As far a supple goes, I ride my Comp16 at 22-29psi and it's incredibly supple and responsive :)

Being that the front tire is the more important of the two it comes down to what you'll trust your life with in total sketch conditions.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
mtb_Chris68 said:
Fair enough if 400 - 600 grams means more to one than their connection to the trail, especially in slick conditions.

He did mention the front tire and in being that 60-70% of rolling resistance is on one's rear tire I'd say it was safe to say one could run a heavier, grippier, higher volume tire on the front without creating a measaurble amount of rolling resistance. Nead to go faster, look at the rear tire to decrease rolling resistance.

I'm 37 y/o and ride a Giant AC(~40lbs) with a 2.5 Comp16 front and Nevagal 2.5(Cap-Ply) rear. I ride up and down and this bike does both very well. As far a supple goes, I ride my Comp16 at 22-29psi and it's incredibly supple and responsive :)

Being that the front tire is the more important of the two it comes down to what you'll trust your life with in total sketch conditions.
I do not care about the rolling resistance in the wet. I am riding hardtails or rigid bikes on XC rides, not 'Shore-style rides. Wide casings can be less controllable in the slop than narrow casing tires. Where I ride is very different than Vancouver.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shiggy-

Thanks for the array of suggestions. Since you suggest changing out BOTH my tires, I suppose I ought to ask what combination of front and rear you like when it turns wet. FWIW, I'm riding a 2004 Stumpjumper FSR Comp and weigh about 185.

As a rider I'm more interested in avoiding further orthopedic issues than pushing my limits very far, although now that I've broken into FS, I am managing more difficult terrain. I like longish trail rides, but mostly wind up doing 2-3 hour rides in McDonald Forest or on Mary's Peak.

shiggy©®™ said:
That is where I ride (southern Willamette Valley). I would recommend swapping out both tires.

My List:
  • Panaracer TrailRaker 1.95
  • Kenda Knarly 2.10
  • Hutchinson Spider - any size
  • Geax Blade - any size
  • Schwalbe Black Shark Mud 2.10
  • Maxxis Swampthing 2.1
  • Conti Survival Pro 2.1
Also better than OK in wet
  • Kenda Blue Groove & Nevegal 2.10 and larger
  • Schwalbe Jimmy/Jim series
  • Schwalbe Albert series