Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Rollin' the dice
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got Hookworms front and rear on my P.2. I love them for urban riding, but I quickly lose confidence when I'm on anything but concrete. I've ridden on a trail or two with them and was always worried that the front wheel was going to wash out on me...and it did a few times.

Would a different, more knobby front tire take care of this? I'd also like something that would be more confidence inspiring on the DJs as well. I was thinking of just replacing the front tire with something else and keeping the front Hookworm as a replacement for when the rear wears out. Does anyone have any recommendation for a good all purpose front tire that would do well on trails, urban, and dirt jumps?

·
Meh.
17,470 Posts
I've been railing it through everything with my Hookworms. But they're big heavy pieces of sh!t. DMR Moto Digger, Halo Twin Rail, Arrow Launch, Maxxis Holy Roller, Maxxis Lopes Bling Bling. Those are all super sick tires that I've used. I'm running the DMR Moto Diggers right now, seem to hook up better than the Holy Rollers in loose stuff.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I second the K-Rads. Just make sure you have real air pressure in them. Street I wouldn't recommend going under 60 psi. I have mine overinflated to 80 psi front and 100 psi rear. Good fast rolling tires that feel good on hardpack, pavement, and skateparks.

·
Meh.
17,470 Posts
The Twin Rails are rather narrow, but very tacky and very grippy. They even hook up well in wet skatepark. They're super fast rolling too, but in the loose or sketchy stuff, the little bit of tread between the rails bites in.

·
Rollin' the dice
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I like the look of those DMR Moto Diggers. I know that my Hookworms are listed at 2.5, but I don't think thats necessarily true. Would a Maxxis Larsen TT, Lopes Bling Bling, or Moto Digger 2.35 be skinnier than the listed width like the Hookworm...I don't want to end up with something realtively wide in the back and something pretty skinny in the front.

One last thing, is there any noticible difference between the Kevlar Folding and the Wire for tires? Weight?

XSL_WiLL said:
I've been railing it through everything with my Hookworms. But they're big heavy pieces of sh!t.
Amen.

EDIT: I went outside and measured the widest point of the tire with a tape measure...the "2.5 Hookworms" came in at a scant 2.25. I guess it wouldn't really be that big of a difference then, would it?

·
mtbr remember
4,354 Posts
Holy Rollers come in 1.95 I believe.... well, I'm positive they do for 24"...
I really would like to check out those Schwalbe Table Tops, the timo pritzel tire, as they almost seem too light to be true, but haven't seen them available anywhere here in NA.... and schwalbe's seem overpriced to begin with here. not that I need tires yet either, I just picked up a new Kiniption for the rear (which isn't the greatest for dirt, but I still dig it).

·
Meh.
17,470 Posts
56Bulldogs said:
I like the look of those DMR Moto Diggers. I know that my Hookworms are listed at 2.5, but I don't think thats necessarily true. Would a Maxxis Larsen TT, Lopes Bling Bling, or Moto Digger 2.35 be skinnier than the listed width like the Hookworm...I don't want to end up with something realtively wide in the back and something pretty skinny in the front.

One last thing, is there any noticible difference between the Kevlar Folding and the Wire for tires? Weight?

Amen.

EDIT: I went outside and measured the widest point of the tire with a tape measure...the "2.5 Hookworms" came in at a scant 2.25. I guess it wouldn't really be that big of a difference then, would it?
The Hookworms look small because of their round profile. Their ISO width is just slightly wider than the ISO width of the Holy Rollers/Moto Diggers. You might as well get a set for front and rear, and it'll let you drop some weight and help in general.

Kevlar bead is a b!tch to get it to seat sometimes. Weight difference is pretty minimal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.