Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a thousand or so choices out there and lots of tire information is based of opinion but here goes..

I like the width of my 2.5 nevegal. Inspires confidence in lots of situations. I have no complaints about its performance per say but it has been known, and in my opinion, to be a slow rolling tire. so i want a tire that is a bit lighter and faster.

Im running a 2.4 ardent in the rear GT and love it. rolls fast and drifts around just enough - predictable. what would pair up nicely with that?

would like to keep it around a true 2.5 (kendas a bit large for their size?)

short list - spec chunder, maybe a muddy mary or big betty after seeing their weights in bullcrews thread, a maxxis of some sort..

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Before it gets answered what kind of terrain?
Wet loamy and rocks your going to want a soft compound and probably not spike style tread, loose over hard spikes are good as well as a low lying tread with a good shoulder for bite!
The good thing aboutr schwalbe is a square profile like a minion with a good size like the kendas (not quite as big but close and definently bigger than the maxxis).
I personally am going to run Muddy mary front 90% of the time and if its cold/wet and slippery then the guey glooey, otherwise its the triple nano compound!
I loved my minions DHF and the muddy marys are right there with them so far!
Maxxis gripped way better than my kendas and the marys are just as fast but held the corner better! Triple rolls faster as well, its what Im running on the front right now!

Without spamming Schwalbe and being a E-tard: There are alot of good tires, ardent, excavator, minion dhf and they all have ther place!
I like Kendas and always will they are a great all around tire, Maxxis is definently or was definently my tire choice for racing till recently! So they are all good suggestions.

Any tire these are good starting points!
Wet/cold/rocky = Soft compound
Loose over hard/muddy/loamy/sandy = Harder compound

Spikes (low profile spikes) are usually an intermediate tire, meaning they are good at alot instead of specific!, Flat tread patterns ie high rollers, excavators, ardents, big bettys etc are for loose over hard and roots and rocks but sacrafice on anything aside of that! Good pedalling tire generally due to the lack of resistance but on front Ill take something with meat and modify if needed!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i live on the east coast (va). most of the trails i ride are CCC era hiking trails. so many of which are rooty and rocky. so i guess that means loose over hardpack?

the muddy mary is looking good (e-speculation from me) hahah

thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
KomodoRider said:
that totally goes against your last post, so loose rocky and rooty you want hard or soft?

personally I like fast rolling over extreme traction any day ahhahaha
Rooty and rocky isnt the same as pebbly gravel over hard pack! So no it doesnt go against my recomendation! Some would even say go soft on loose over hard, personally Id go harder compound and air down a little for that! You are right , Id take speed over grip in certain circumstances.

If Im off go to NSMB and see what they run on rocky, rooty, wet etc... Soft compound! East coast is nothing like SOcal dirt, Socal dirt is probably the hardest type to dial a tire in for.
If its eascoast dirt and its loose Id use a semi spike, if its rocky and rooty then Id go for a soft compound! If its slocal stuff then Id go good rolling rear and a semi spike up front to try and get a knob to mush a little to stick a flat corner and dig in the sand on a berm instead of packing and sliding. Depending on temp Id go harder rear compound and softer front!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I've got a blue groove 2.5 on my DH right now, and I like it. very familiar coming from the nevegal, but still different. doesn't have quite the secure feeling of the nevegal in moderate corners, but it's more predictable feeling (you know when it'll break loose).

it's a good, versatile tire, and I'm pretty happy with it. ridden it in rocky, sandy, hardpack, silty, and the occasional leaf litter. pretty good in all conditions.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bryguy17 said:
I've got a blue groove 2.5 on my DH right now, and I like it. very familiar coming from the nevegal, but still different. doesn't have quite the secure feeling of the nevegal in moderate corners, but it's more predictable feeling (you know when it'll break loose).

it's a good, versatile tire, and I'm pretty happy with it. ridden it in rocky, sandy, hardpack, silty, and the occasional leaf litter. pretty good in all conditions.
do you think the blue groove rolls faster?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Matt 891 said:
do you think the blue groove rolls faster?
it feels smoother, but it probably doesn't roll any faster than a nevegal. the center tread is blocky and widely spaced, like the nevegal. I suppose that with a lower pressure, though, the tire will deform enough to ride slightly on the transition knobs as well, which helps bridge the gap some.

in all honesty though, for DH use I'm not too concerned about rolling resistance. I'm concerned about the tire behaving as I want it to. front: very very grippy, with a predictable break away at the end of the grip range. rear: grippy in center and transition knobs, with a wide, progressive drift on the side knobs. lets you slide the loose stuff, but still be able to rail berms and things with stability.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I'm running an Ardent on front and love the way it corners. I'm riding in totally different conditions though (dry, desert) so I can't sat how it'll work in the mud.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.