Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Future Rainbow Jersey
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run Kenda Klaws (2.1's) on my '05 Fisher X-Cal. I was wanting to get the Rampages for all of the great things I've heard about them, but they are a bit stout for my frame, which is notorious for having clearance issues, even on 2.2 width tires.

Would it make sense to run the Rampages on the front, and my Klaw in the rear? Is that stupid? The reason that I ask is that the Klaw as a rear tire has been pretty good, however, I find the Klaw front tire to be really sketchy in loose rocky conditions.

If it's a bad idea to have just the Rampage up front, what's a good tire (Front and Rear) for loose and rocky trails with lots of roots (often wet) that is in the 2.1-2.2 range?

Thanks in advance.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
It's not stupid at all to run the Rampage up front. If the Klaw rear is working for you and has life left - than stick with it and put a Rampy up front.

·
Future Rainbow Jersey
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. The Klaws are in good shape as I got them last year and only hit the trails once or twice a week, so the rear is good shape. I'm hoping the Rampage could provide a little more stability up front.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
ziggurat22 said:
Cool. The Klaws are in good shape as I got them last year and only hit the trails once or twice a week, so the rear is good shape. I'm hoping the Rampage could provide a little more stability up front.
The Rampage is a very good tire, and has exceptional grip. It reacts positively in almost all conditions I have run it in, except maybe over slick wet off cambered roots.

Apart from that, set up with a tubeless system [Stans or ghetto] and run @ low pressures, it is the ducks guts of tires ... :thumbsup:

R.

G

·
another tire to try up front that has nice sticky rubber and big knobs with a decent width is the WTB Stout. it may not be the best tire for all conditions but i have really enjoyed it on my bike. i like the nice soft compound tires. they do wear a bit faster than the harder compounds though, the side knobs on one of my tires are pretty much gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.