Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I think I may need a new front tire. The tread on my Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 still has some life in it but I think that it may not be suited for the terrain that I ride. It washes out and I lose traction and fall quite a bit. It only happens in turns on sections of the trail that have a lot of smaller loose rocks or loose dirt. At first I thought that it was because I was braking in the turn but I quit doing that and instead scrub off all of the speed that I need to before entering the turn. I'm light so I run a bit lower pressure than recommended. 30psi with tubes.

So give me your opinions. Could I possibly benefit from a different tire and if so what would you suggest? Or is it an issue with my technique and if so what can I do to change it? Could it be a combination of both?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Try to find a panaracer cinder for your front tire.

The braking and turing lessens traction. That's for sure. But you need a tire with more traction anyway.

Because if you were going fast, then what you'd be feelng when you brake in the turn is the bike trying to stand itself up.

The washing out action tells me that you are going at kinda low speed, thus could benefir from a better tire. Panaracer Cinder is what I feel like recommending. I'm sure replies with other good recs will follow.

Sometimes we drag the brakes in the corner because it does transfer weight to the front wheel and makes it feel stable... and thus comfortable. You can get that good weight transfer effect without the brakes if you bend your elbows, bringing your chest closer to the stem. Exagerate the movement to begin with. If you are doing it right, you should feel the weight transfer thru your palms, as they will be supporting more of the weight on the bars.

This adds weight to your front wheel, stabilizing it and digging it in so you can really drive it around.

·
Registered
556 Posts
queevil said:
Hi everyone. I think I may need a new front tire. The tread on my Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 still has some life in it but I think that it may not be suited for the terrain that I ride. It washes out and I lose traction and fall quite a bit. It only happens in turns on sections of the trail that have a lot of smaller loose rocks or loose dirt. At first I thought that it was because I was braking in the turn but I quit doing that and instead scrub off all of the speed that I need to before entering the turn. I'm light so I run a bit lower pressure than recommended. 30psi with tubes.

So give me your opinions. Could I possibly benefit from a different tire and if so what would you suggest? Or is it an issue with my technique and if so what can I do to change it? Could it be a combination of both?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Take a look at the Maxxis Ardent 2.25. I just put a set on and, so far find them excellent. It's a large volume tire that will allow you to run low pressures. Excellent traction, roll very fast and corner great. here is one of the discussions on the tire; http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=487732 . there are others as well, all quite favorable. good luck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Nevagal 2.1 DCT, great traction I have used the 1.9, 2.35 I was surprized on how well this tire rides almost zero rolling resistance and corners great, better than the 1.9.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll look into those options. I have the Nevegal on the rear and it seems to hook up ok. Jayphus, thanks for the insight. I kind of figured that it wasn't just the tire. You're right; I am going rather slow on the turns that I lose traction on. Their just really tight. Due to rain and some minor health issues I won't be able to ride until Friday but I'll take your suggestion on the technique and see how it works.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'll second the Ardent. Over the winter I ran 2.25 Ardent front and 1.95 Nevegal rear and found this quite nice. Now that's it's summer, Ardent front, Crossmark rear is super fast!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts