Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to break the elusive 30# barrier on my 26in Titus El Guapo.

I am currently running a Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.4 front and a Spec Ground Control 2bliss 2.3 rear. Both setup tubeless on Stan's Flow rims with sealant.

I ride aggressive, "classic" AM riding (whatever the hell that means) Terrain = east coast rocks/roots and I go to Pisgah/Brevard (mountains of NC) 1-2x a month.

I am happy with my rear tire right now from a weight/durability standpoint (I like a "tubeless ready" tire for the rear). The front tire however, is a bit heavier than I want. I like the larger volume 2.3 or 2.4 tires, but I don't want to push around the 750+ grams of the Fat Albert.

I would like the tire to be in the 600ish gram area if at all possible.

What would you guys recommend? After hours of research I always seem to end up back at the Nobby Nick, but my buddy is rocking them and isn't in love. I am fed up and tired....but I guess the good news is there are plenty of choices out there!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
there isnt a tire on the market under 750 grams worth putting on that bike, you would be giving up too much in stability, size, grip and durability. dhf singleply 2.5 sized more like a 2.35 is 850g. conti tk 2.4 is 975g. the hi roller 2 2.4 is 850ish. the nobbi nic is too small no balls for the front to me. and alot of people say it doesnt corner as well as any of the above. the hans dampf is the lightest big casing with great grip right around 750g.or the specialized butcher control is in the same ballpark. everyone elses comprable tire is around 850g.

plus any of the lighter choices want more psi to make up for thinner casings.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
For that bike & how you ride, I'd err on the side of more beef. I LOVE the Magic Mary I'm running up front right now. Blows the Dampf away in terms of grip, rolls pretty well, and only ~80g heavier in the Snakeskin carcass. It's not ultra-light, but I promise you your bike will be faster and more fun with good rubber, even if you don't hit the sub-30 goal.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,569 Posts
I am trying to break the elusive 30# barrier on my 26in Titus El Guapo.

I am currently running a Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.4 front and a Spec Ground Control 2bliss 2.3 rear. Both setup tubeless on Stan's Flow rims with sealant.

I ride aggressive, "classic" AM riding (whatever the hell that means) Terrain = east coast rocks/roots and I go to Pisgah/Brevard (mountains of NC) 1-2x a month.

I am happy with my rear tire right now from a weight/durability standpoint (I like a "tubeless ready" tire for the rear). The front tire however, is a bit heavier than I want. I like the larger volume 2.3 or 2.4 tires, but I don't want to push around the 750+ grams of the Fat Albert.

I would like the tire to be in the 600ish gram area if at all possible.

What would you guys recommend? After hours of research I always seem to end up back at the Nobby Nick, but my buddy is rocking them and isn't in love. I am fed up and tired....but I guess the good news is there are plenty of choices out there!
I cannot think of a single 6oo-ish gram tire that is worth the loss in performance. Front tire is about the stupidest place I can think of to skimp on performance for a few grams. Less weight means less rubber, so either less volume, thinner sidewalls, or less tread. You really want to give up one or more of those to hit some arbitrary number?

Really, 700-800 grams is what pretty much all 2.3-2.4 "AM" tires worth a darn weigh in at.

NN is pleasing to most users. I was not in love with the NN, but was not in love with the FA either. I sold both to a friend, who liked the FA, but likes the NN even better. All run up front.

I think the NN 2.4 is going to blow the doors off of any 600gram tire out there, but my 2.4 NN Snakeskin weighed 737grams (claimed weight is 650g).

·
Registered
309 Posts
What are the thoughts on the Purgatory Control vs. the S-works Purgatory as a front tire?
Do you want just sidewall blowouts or would you like to pay more for sidewall blowouts? Because that is the decision you have to make with those two tires.

Take a look at the WTB Vigilante. The non-Team Issues are advertised at 740g. The Team Issues I just got weighed in at 100g less than advertised, so might be worth taking a shot to see if the non- Team Issues will weigh less as well. They're also a pretty robust tire with absurd amounts of grip, would highly recommend them.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
What are the thoughts on the Purgatory Control vs. the S-works Purgatory as a front tire?
Depends on your terrain, weight, and riding style.

I'm 240 and ride moderate terrain but not super hard and my "control" version is fine.

General consensus seems to be s-works is reserved for light weight riders on mild terrain or race only. The sidewall is very thin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.