Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry my first post is 'one of those questions'... ;-) I know it's subjective but I have been using Kenda small block 8's front and rear for some time. All's gone well, but I've hardly been doing anything too technical or demanding.

Am just starting to do some slightly more 'serious' riding... nothing too dramatic. Some rock, but mainly (reasonably) dry loamy singletrack. Reasonably steep. Was thinking of just changing my front tire for now - something with a little more volume and bite. Can anyone recommend a 2.2ish front tire that might mate OK with the Kenda? I like something fairly predictable and rounded I think - I don't tend to corner hard.

Only 29 rider around and my local store didn't think 29ers existed until I showed them my bike a few months back... so yeah, not much local info available ;-)

Thanks very much.

David

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Welcome and yes, asked ALL the time, but I'm feeling especially kind this AM :D Weird I know :D All depends on where about you ride TBH, but from your description there's quite a few options. My personal suggestion would be something with some good bite like the Rampage, but maybe you don't need anything that aggressive (don't know what you were previously riding or what you're now riding), but could be something like a Maxxis Ignitor could do the trick and is a lot lighter than the Rampage. Don't worry about the local shop, with the internet these days that's not even worth a second thought. On my island surprisingly we have quite a few 29ers (even the LBS owner has one, but he converted it to a rough road bike basically, so he doesn't care) but no one brings in tyres, so if you want you order and have them shipped in.

·
Fast bike-slow rider
207 Posts
I second the Maxxis Ignitor as a front tire if you are running hard-pack to loose over hard. Mine has served me well even when things have gotten sloppy. I have the standard version and it has held up on my local rocky trails pretty well too. A nice go to tire.

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
You may like the Maxxis Ikon in the front as well, would go well with your sb8 rear I would think.

~ lighter than the Ignitor, tough side walls according to reports. Expensive though, almost double what the Ignitor costs. Ignitors are hard to beat when cost enters the equation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.