Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front tire, a hutch python 2.0 tubeless, is losing air over a ride, probably due to a dodgy seal. I've noticed that when it gets down to about 20psi (ie, far from flat), the handling of the bikes front end is atrocious. Rolling rocky drop offs were the front tire goes down first, plenty of weight on it (I'm a clyde), becomes very difficult, bike is all over the place. Now, obviously I'm going to fix my tire, but I had a few thoughts.

Should it be possible to roll down drop-offs at low front tire pressures, and I just need to work on my technique?

Don't DHers run quite low tire pressures? Guys I know tell me they run "the lowest pressure they can get away with" :confused: on the DH. There has to be times when a boat-load of weight goes onto the front end, what happens here?

·
Registered
804 Posts
JBone said:
Guys I know tell me they run "the lowest pressure they can get away with" on the DH.
Sounds like you can't "get away with" 20psi in those tires.... DH tires are quite a different beast compared to those Pythons. It is not fair to compare the two - they are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Clyde + 2.0 + 20psi doesn't sound like a good combo to me at all...and to compare a 2.0 python to what a downhiller runs is apples and oranges, downhill tires have much stronger sidewalls to allow the lower pressure (and wider rims don't hurt either).

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
The other posters are correct. You can not compare a Python 2.0 to DH tires, or even bigger XC tires.

DH tire generally have thicker, stiffer casings that help stabilize the tire even at lower pressures. Sometimes the DH casing requires lower pressure to get the tire to grip properly.

With any off road tire I try to run "the lowest pressure I can get away with", XC, DH, whatever. If the tire is squirmy or pinch flats the pressure is too low. The tire, tube, rim, terrain, rider weight and riding style are all factors.

With good results I have used as little as 10 psi in a Nokian Gazzaloddi 3.0.
20-22 psi in Kenda Blue Groove 2.50 with the xc casing.
Will not go lower than 28-30 in a Python 2.0.

I am ~170 lbs, ride "light" and tend to use lower pressures than most my riding buddies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.