Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is running a squshy fork ontheir monkey and how is it working out for you? I like my new bike a lot, but I am definitely feeling the shortcomings of the rigid fork. It has some advantages too, for sure. Climbing is great, and I like the stability of the rock solid Surly fork, I'm just curious. Let's see pics.....

Thanks,

·
3,049 Posts
Reba @ 100mm

It works very well. Slack angles work just fine on the singlespeed. I removed the blue bit on the lockout knob, and filed a bit of metal off the + pressure knob. On an old 18" monkey with a standard King HS and race, it rubs paint but not metal on the downtube.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I run a 100mm zoke and love it .I can push the down hills so much harder plus with the hand problems I have its just better for me.I will post pics this weekend maybe.

·
29er addict
101 Posts
I started out running the White Brothers Magic 80 and felt it wasnt enough travel. I sent it back to WB and had them switch it to 100mm and have never looked back. I dont feel that it has changed the head angle much at all. Bike handles tight single track very well. I love my monkey and with 100mm it is much more fun to ride.

·
Tulsa
1,085 Posts
I bought my monkey with every intention of going soft, but i'm digging the rigid thing, would love to get a better than stock unit though

·
RYD W/ FLO
335 Posts
May look rigid from this angle but its a trick. Gotta watch the frame clearance with the KM. Doesn't clear the SC32, even with the tall headset, but the drop bars hit the frame before the fork does and they don't leave quite the same mark as the fork.

Things sure are a lot faster and easier with a little cushion, but the rigid fork still finds its way onto the frame pretty regularly.

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that your Blog?

karatemonkey said:
May look rigid from this angle but its a trick. Gotta watch the frame clearance with the KM. Doesn't clear the SC32, even with the tall headset, but the drop bars hit the frame before the fork does and they don't leave quite the same mark as the fork.

Things sure are a lot faster and easier with a little cushion, but the rigid fork still finds its way onto the frame pretty regularly.

Looks like you're living the dream this summer. Are you posting your route ideas? I would llove to hear more about your plans. 3k is a lot of miles. I would love to do something like that before I'm too old.

On second thought, I'm already too old, but I wouldl still love to take off on a bike for a year or so....

·
Registered
128 Posts
When I put an 80mm Reba on the Karate Monkey I loved it. Then, I knocked the Reba out to 100mm and love it even more. The only problem was that I had to add a stop to keep the pop lock from hitting the down tube. My understanding is that this is not necessary with the newer frames.

I don't have any pictures, but it looks just like a Karate Monkey with a Reba.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have heard good things about that RST. What are your initial impressions. Is it an easy conversion from 80mm to 100?
Oh yeah, Sweet Monkey.

·
Registered
406 Posts
mtroy said:
Running the RST 80mm style. I think I will call them and see what the deal is with running it in 100mm, though. I would like more cush, a higher H-Bar AND a bit slacker angles.

Voila.
Do you have any clearance issues with that fork? What's your headset? What size is the frame?

·