Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just bought a mountain bike, 2008 Norco Bigfoot, and I have noticed an excessive amount of travel and softness in the front end. What kind of front suspension should I be looking at, as I’m 6’3” and about 260lbs? I would like something that doesn’t feel like it can’t carry me.

Hydraulic brakes on bikes and directional tires did not exist during my previous bicycling days, so be kind with the lingo as I need basic advise and brand/model suggestions.

Thanks,

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi, just bought a mountain bike, 2008 Norco Bigfoot, and I have noticed an excessive amount of travel and softness in the front end. What kind of front suspension should I be looking at, as I'm 6'3" and about 260lbs? I would like something that doesn't feel like it can't carry me.

Hydraulic brakes on bikes and directional tires did not exist during my previous bicycling days, so be kind with the lingo as I need basic advise and brand/model suggestions.

Thanks,
The fork is a marzocchi dj3 if the owner didn't change it. It is a coil spring so For heavier weights you need a different set spring than the standard as in coil forks there is a weight range for each type of springs. I don't know a lot about marzocchis, but I am pretty sure It is rare to find replacement springs for a heavier weight category as It ceased production a few years ago.

You can replace the fork with an air fork, which you can just pump a higher psi of air for a heavier weight and lower psi for lighter weight because It uses the the compression of air not springs for suspension.

I don't know what types of riding you do so can't really advice which forks. Just buy any brands from fox, Marzocchi, Rockshox, Suntour (avoid if doing really rought stuff), DVO, MRP, Ohlins.......... the list goes on:p

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,932 Posts
Hi, just bought a mountain bike, 2008 Norco Bigfoot, and I have noticed an excessive amount of travel and softness in the front end. What kind of front suspension should I be looking at, as I'm 6'3" and about 260lbs? I would like something that doesn't feel like it can't carry me.

Thanks,
Are you going to be riding on trails? If so, a used AM hardtail with a Fox 36 or Lyric.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Sell it and start over with something used off PinkBike with an air fork.
Yep. Too old to maintain or tweak, and with a stupid-short reach it's gonna need a lot of tweaking to (fail to) hide the awful geo.

look for something with a >460mm reach. There's no down side.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts

Thanks,
You're getting a lot of recommendations to replace the bike with something newer. Not bad advice, but since you apparently just bought the Norco, maybe you don't want to, or can't, invest in another bike. The challenge you have is the Bigfoots aging standards. There isn't much to choose from for a 26" straight steerer fork. At least not if you're looking for a new fork. Rockshox may still make a straight steerer 26" fork model or two. I bought a Recon from them for a project in 2017. But, it cost more then you probably paid for your bike. I think current straight 26" Recons are around $300. You might consider looking for a used fork. Make sure the stantions aren't scratched, then get a rebuild kit for it, or have it serviced at an LBS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.