Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im a total no0b to the mountain bike scene.. well actually.. i used to ride in NY like 10 years ago.. but i never really learned much about the equipment.. and of course now.. i have no idea whats going on.. so i have a question... i weigh about 260 pounds with my gear.. and i ride an entry level iron horse hardtail.. the bike came with a Rock Shox Dart1 on it.. which is completely inadequate.. so i want to upgrade.. but i dont want to put a 600 dollar fork on a 300 dollar bike.. im planning on upgrading my whole rig in the next year or so.. i just want something to get me through for the meantime.. so.. im wondering.. could i pick up a Tora.. or a Recon fork.. and just put a different spring kit in it to suit my weight? also.. should i go with an air fork.. as opposed to oil? i really have no idea where to start.

thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

DeV

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
If you are getting a new bike next year just wait. You can get a rigid fork for now well under $50 and then get that new bike next year. Just a thought.

At 260 you can go coil or air, but air is easy to adjust and get set properly. You are not going to have the issues the super-clydes do with forks. There's a lot of old Marzocchi and RockShox forks floating around on craigslist that would work for you. If you want a real upgrade to "stiff" then consider 20mm through axles.

Welcome and good luck. Keep the rubber side down.

Brock...

·
Registered
206 Posts
just some thoughts

Here is my thought on it. I am 290lbs and have looked into pretty much all the fork manufacturers. I am a little at a disadvantage since I need a 29er fork. Here is what I found. A spring fork will need a custom spring if your over 190lbs and no fork manufacturer makes one for 260lbs, You have to find it from a outside vender which bumps up the price. If you get oil/air spring you will have a better chance to get it to work right since you can ad pressure and I have been told by some manufacturers they will work fine. Depending on your style of riding you may want a heavier crown put on the fork (they can put a downhill or all mountain crown on a XC fork). After talking to White brothers they can do this for an extra $35(not bad). The down fall is they don't have a lock out. My thought on the lock out is if you want to lock out your fork ride a rigid. It does have IMG or something like that to prevent pedal bobbing. The down side is they are your $600 fork. I would not skimp on a fork when you weigh over 200 lbs thats one part of the bike you don't want to break (kind of like the handle bars or folding a rim). I might look at getting something you can put on your next bike as well. These are just my thoughts, right or wrong, just thoughts.:thumbsup:

·
turtles make me hot
11,753 Posts
I just went bike shopping with a friend a couple of days ago. We looked at a bike with a Tora on it... Seemed like a nice piece for a coil fork. Look for closeouts at the big bike shops. I built an entire bike like that once and saved a ton of cash.

I weigh 260 right now and my current bike has a Reba. I'm happy with it.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
only certian tora's are coil... i'm picking up one for my 29er and it's an air fork... supposed to be stiffer then the reba due to the materials it's built with... but it's also heavier...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just got a Tora 302SL fork on ebay.. its the air coil.. i got it for 125 bucks.. so im gonna try to find a firm or Xfirm spring kit for it.. and see how that works for me..

thanks alot for all the help guys.. im sure ill have alot more questions in the coming months :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok, I had to throw in 2 cents. I dont ride very hard trails, some rooty with some light down hill. I read before that if you dont bottom out your suspension from time to time, you have too much for you riding. Well since I am 270lbs and expected the worst I tightened my RockShox 2 as much as it would go. What I noticed was I didn't use much travel.... I loosened it, little better... I have never bottomed it out but I dont live where there is mountains, only trails. This thing is stock and always done me well. What I am saying is ride it well and see how it reacts. You might wanna try a heavier spring kit if its not bottoming out hard or that often, just enough to help out. I only suggest it as your not keeping the bike past a year so just patch up the annoying part and make it enjoyable, and then reqard yourself at the end.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm 270lbs and on a C'dale F7 with the RST Gila Pro T8 front fork. It feels kind of dangerous on somewhat steep, rocky downhills (think Las Virgenes in LA). On top of the recommendations for brand and style, is there any issue in going from 100mm of travel to something like 140mm?

Total newb question: How are front forks sized? Assuming the wheel clearance is sufficient, do all front forks fit on all bikes? I.e. - differing step sizes, headsets, etc?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
for fork travel you need to know what the frame was designed around... as you add more travel you slacken out the geometry of the frame which slows it's handling... each 20mm of travel slackens by about 1*...

for sizing you are looking at one for a 26" bike... which is what most suspension forks are for.

a quick search shows your fork to be VERY entry level (on par with the dart1)... i'm sure you could something better (tora seems to be good for us big guys) for not to much $$$... i'm running a 29er so not the same thing but i got mine for $125 used... but be careful buying used as you're never 100% sure what you're getting

·
Rabid Lana Fan
10,344 Posts
roaringpanda said:
is there any issue in going from 100mm of travel to something like 140mm?
Not speaking form experience, but rather from what I've read.

The general consensus is to not go more than 20 mm longer than what came on the bike. Besides the geometry change, there is also stress to consider. The headtube area was designed to withstand so much stress. As you increase the length of the fork, the leverage starts to go up as well and thus the stress on the headtube area starts to rise.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I weigh 265lbs and recently built up a hardtail with a RockShox Tora 318 Solo Air (available for $209 from cambria bike outfitters) and the fork works great. Has room to spare (grow ;)) as far as the air spring is concerned and actually has very good ride quality. You can internally set the travel at from 80mm to 100mm to 130mm. It comes stock at 100mm which would be fine for your bike. It is a disc only fork, so you need to take that into consideration, but you can find some Toras with v-brake bosses if you look around.

Disclaimer: I can't vouch for the suitability of other Tora models for a clyde though other than the specific model I referenced.

·
Registered
88 Posts
jeffj said:
I weigh 265lbs and recently built up a hardtail with a RockShox Tora 318 Solo Air (available for $209 from cambria bike outfitters) and the fork works great. Has room to spare (grow ;)) as far as the air spring is concerned and actually has very good ride quality. You can internally set the travel at from 80mm to 100mm to 130mm. It comes stock at 100mm which would be fine for your bike. It is a disc only fork, so you need to take that into consideration, but you can find some Toras with v-brake bosses if you look around.

Disclaimer: I can't vouch for the suitability of other Tora models for a clyde though other than the specific model I referenced.
Funny, that's the exact model fork I was looking at on jensonusa right now. Not for $209, though!

Do you put the disclaimer to cover your bases, or because you know of other models that aren't good for clydes?

Thanks for your input! About the same weight, I think this fork is the way to go... $209 is a reasonable price, too!

·
Registered
88 Posts
727 DeV said:
i just got a Tora 302SL fork on ebay.. its the air coil.. i got it for 125 bucks.. so im gonna try to find a firm or Xfirm spring kit for it.. and see how that works for me..

thanks alot for all the help guys.. im sure ill have alot more questions in the coming months :)
How's the 302SL fork working out for you? Sorry, I totally threadjacked you...

·
Registered
28 Posts
FYI The RockShox Tora 318 Solo Air is $360.00 at Jensonusa.

I'm 6'3" and 250 and just put 09 Marzocchi 44 ATA's 100mm - 140mm on and they feel pretty good. The tech dude at marz said you can run up to 205 psi in the fork and make it as stiff as you want. they have a few big guys doing r&d for them on the fork and had success. I'm running 160 psi and they are medium at the top of the stroke and firm mid stroke. I haven't bottomed out yet but I don't do big drops. They cost $449.00. and have a 15mm thru axel. If you can find a old cheap pair of Marz you can do a warrenty upgrade thru Marz for $205.00 thats what I paid for mine. They showed up the next day.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
roaringpanda said:
Funny, that's the exact model fork I was looking at on jensonusa right now. Not for $209, though!

Do you put the disclaimer to cover your bases, or because you know of other models that aren't good for clydes?

Thanks for your input! About the same weight, I think this fork is the way to go... $209 is a reasonable price, too!
I seem to remember some reviews for other models not being as consistently good as I have seen regarding the 318 Solo Air, so since I don't have any direct experience with those other model Toras and having seen mixed reviews, I wouldn't be able to recommend for or against other Tora models.

Here's the link that I used to purchase mine:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd....X+TORA+318+FORK+SOLO+AIR+SUSPENSION+FORK+2008

I also sprung the extra $15 for the alloy steerer version which about 1/2lb lighter, but otherwise the same.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So from all the advice, I'm guessing the 318 Solo Air are the way to go. I'm on chainreactioncycles.com and they have the 318 solo air w/ poploc for $200.14 and free shipping to the US for $230+ orders (exchange rate, since it's from the UK). It's listed as 80mm, but the 318 Solo Air is adjustable to 80/100/130mm, so I am assuming there is no separate 80mm version? Also, it says the steerer tube is 195mm. This seems kind of short since most come 8"-10" and require some cutting? Should I be overly concerned at the steerer length?

If anything, I'll get it at cambria, but I would have to pay tax and shipping, which really kills the "deal" factor in it.

Thanks all!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.