Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking to pick up a pair of second hand forks off craigslist to put on an older bike for a rider about 120lbs.

Their current forks are a pair of marzocchi exr from 2003 and don't have any travel for them at all. From what I've read they have springs and so aren't adjustable :(

Are there any things I should look out for when buying a new pair that would make them better suited to, or adjustable for, a lighter rider. Any particular models that would be good?

I know it's best just to buy a new bike, but the person can't afford one right now and they are passionate about riding trails.

Thanks for any assistance.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Try and find an older pair of SIDs. They are air sprung so adjustable for lighter riders and although they are a little flexy compared to the new SIDs and REBAs this will probably not be such a big deal for a lighter rider. If you look you can get them surprisingly cheaply and they are not a bad fork, fairly tunable and light.

·
wuss
2,379 Posts
Air shocks are more easily adjustable to lighter riders, but have more friction due to having extra seals in the air spring.

If you can find a suitably light spring for a coil fork you might end up with something far smoother, but also heavier (especially as all the lightest xc forks are purely air forks to save weight).

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I would recommend a dual air fork (such as the SID) as many air and coil forks use a set negative spring that can often be too heavy (thus causes too much sag with the correct spring rate) for light riders.

Older SID's are a great lightweight rider fork as they are very light, very tunable (lighter oil in the damper for a lighter rider), and use an adjustable air negative spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts