Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I'm a bit new at this.
I want to replace the worn front suspension fork on my bike.
I have a 1" steer tube, so my first question is what is a good shock that comes in 1"

Second if I switch it out what else will I have to change.
I assume most front shocks are threadless now so I would have to change my stem also.
Does anyone make a 1" threadless stem?

Any help would be great.

Thansk
Danny

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
dag560 said:
Second if I switch it out what else will I have to change.
I assume most front shocks are threadless now so I would have to change my stem also.
For new forks, in the US, Marzocchi is the only option. Pace makes them in Europe, but they are not imported. Old forks can be found on eBay.

The switch can be problematic...

If you go from threaded to threadless, you definitely need a new stem (1 1/8" threadless will fit with a shim), and a new threadless headset. If you're running cantis, new forks do not have a canti hanger, which means you need new linear pull brakes. When you get new brakes, your current levers will pull too much cable, which means you'll need to get new levers. If you have Shimano integrated levers, you'll end up with new shifters too, which may or may not be compatable with the number of speeds on your bike (whcich might nean a new rear wheel).

Anyway you get the picture. It's a can of worms. The easiest thing is to find an old fork on eBay and don't worry about having the latest fork. You can often find unused, or nearly unused forks for a good price. If you do get a new fork, be prepared to up grade a lot of related components.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
laffeaux said:
If you go from threaded to threadless, you definitely need a new stem (1 1/8" threadless will fit with a shim), and a new threadless headset. .
Are there any how too's on making the shim?
This might be my best alternative.

Danny

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
dag560 said:
Are there any how too's on making the shim?
This might be my best alternative.

Danny
Should be able to get that shim from most bike shops. Carry-over from roadie bikes, so they can use 1" with 1 1/8 stems... just like the mountain bikes. :) Just the 1" steerer tube survived longer on roadies than it did on mountain bikes.

JmZ

·
Powered by Campagnolo
32 Posts
Got another option for ya.

I sort of have the same issue as you, dag560. I needed to upgrade but I have limitations. I needed a 1" threaded steerer tube, carbon fork, cantilever brake compatible with less than 70mm of travel. The solutions are classified or ebay for me. With patience and luck, I acquired a Specialized FSX (Rock Shox Judy with carbon fiber legs) from ebay. On top of that, there's a site that offer upgrades to older Rock Shox Judy's and Manitou SX series to air cartridge.
Here's the site:http://www.ekosport.com/ta_intro.shtml
Now you can have the suspension action of new, yet retain the geometry of old. It's the best of both world and it won't cost you a fortune.

Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Bat Bike said:
I sort of have the same issue as you, dag560. I needed to upgrade but I have limitations. I needed a 1" threaded steerer tube, carbon fork, cantilever brake compatible with less than 70mm of travel. The solutions are classified or ebay for me. With patience and luck, I acquired a Specialized FSX (Rock Shox Judy with carbon fiber legs) from ebay. On top of that, there's a site that offer upgrades to older Rock Shox Judy's and Manitou SX series to air cartridge.
Here's the site:http://www.ekosport.com/ta_intro.shtml
Now you can have the suspension action of new, yet retain the geometry of old. It's the best of both world and it won't cost you a fortune.

Good luck!
Not a bad idea, that completely opens the door for some other options.

How well do you like the internals swap?

·