Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
mfDB
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having troubles shifting into granny on my 2008 SJ. It does it at all times in all gears. It tries to shift, but the derailleur is just not quite going far enough in. I was a mechanic in shops for 10 years, so I've tried the normal stuff. Here is what I have done:

1) properly set limits (actually, the lower limit is all the way out for granny)
2) changed the cable and housing
3) properly set the cable tension and checked the shifter
4) checked the bottom bracket spacing (I am assuming the SJ is a 73mm bottom bracket because that is how mine was set up - 1 spacer only on the drive side)

So, is this a typical issue with the frame mounted front derailleur?
Does anyone have any tricks/tips/suggestions that I'm missing?? :madman:

thanks for the help :thumbsup:

·
West Chester, PA
5,003 Posts
mfDB said:
I am having troubles shifting into granny on my 2008 SJ. It does it at all times in all gears. It tries to shift, but the derailleur is just not quite going far enough in. I was a mechanic in shops for 10 years, so I've tried the normal stuff. Here is what I have done:

1) properly set limits (actually, the lower limit is all the way out for granny)
2) changed the cable and housing
3) properly set the cable tension and checked the shifter
4) checked the bottom bracket spacing (I am assuming the SJ is a 73mm bottom bracket because that is how mine was set up - 1 spacer only on the drive side)

So, is this a typical issue with the frame mounted front derailleur?
Does anyone have any tricks/tips/suggestions that I'm missing?? :madman:

thanks for the help :thumbsup:
Its a design flaw, the derailleur mount design places it to far to the outside. I had the same issue on mine. Some frames don't have the issue due to slight manufacturing variances. Mine was a medium by the way.

You have 2 options.

- Buy a sram derailleur and hope it lines up slightly more inward. It probably wont.

- Take a dremel and either remove some material from the mounting points on the frame bracket or the derailleur bracket. The bracket on the frame is replaceable so its no big deal. You only need to get it about 2mm further in and you'll be golden.

·
mfDB
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 92gli, I'll get after that bracket. It seemed like something was off because the der. was adjusted all the way in....mine is also a medium. maybe I'll post some pics if it works.

this bike is headache, don't get me wrong, I love it, but my 02 SJ pro hardtail is always flawless

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.