Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new Liquid today. Great bike overall. Very plush and minimal bob. But!!! When I took it out for a ride in noticed that the front rotor rubs; most noticeably when turning. The guy at the shop said that he will order a new front rotor, but the rotor doesnt rub when on a stand.

Has anyone experienced this. Any suggestions what it could be or a possible solution?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
rubbin on the fork or break pads? if its on the pads just do the playing card trick, if its on the fork, i dunno. Makshure your qr is tight and the bolts on the roter are tight. My 05 mags, dont rub on the 05 miniute 2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
this is more of a brake problem, than a Liquid problem...

You might first search the brake forum, as this has come up numerous times. The most obvious things that can cause this are: loose front axle, either in the shock dropouts (defective skewer), or loose axle nuts; improperly tensioned front spokes; brake pads set too close to rotor (reset them using the business card trick); super whimpy front fork, to name a few. My Liquid is over a year old and I only get a little rotor rub on hard, high-speed turns, and I'm running the stock Psylo!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
give it some time

I picked up my Liquid about 2 weeks ago and the front brake was rubbing but it is gone away now. The pads need to wear down or break in, which ever you want to call it. I did 1 fast long dh type run and the breaks are perfect now. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
8"?

cgreg said:
I picked up my new Liquid today. Great bike overall. Very plush and minimal bob. But!!! When I took it out for a ride in noticed that the front rotor rubs; most noticeably when turning. The guy at the shop said that he will order a new front rotor, but the rotor doesnt rub when on a stand.

Has anyone experienced this. Any suggestions what it could be or a possible solution?

Thanks.
are you running an 8" rotor, if you are you're not supposed to, trek mis speced this bike at first and now are running 6", its supposed to be a 6", 8" rotors with QR drop outs are not supposed to be ran with eachother, get to you LBS and have it switched, the QR lever can brake or you'll wreck the drop outs. theres to much flex with out a 20mm through axle, this is why you'd be seeing rubbing issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2inthehole said:
are you running an 8" rotor, if you are you're not supposed to, trek mis speced this bike at first and now are running 6", its supposed to be a 6", 8" rotors with QR drop outs are not supposed to be ran with eachother, get to you LBS and have it switched, the QR lever can brake or you'll wreck the drop outs. theres to much flex with out a 20mm through axle, this is why you'd be seeing rubbing issues.
2inthehole,

It did come with the 8" up front. I think that I can just remove the 8" fork mounting adapter from the Hayes HF9 and then mount a 6" rotor on front to solve the problem. Is this correct?

Did you get this from Trek. I'm surprised that if they know this they are still sending out bikes equiped with 8" rotors, as my bike had to be ordered from Trek and they just shipped it Monday.

Thanks for the help, I was really scratching my head on this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
the 8in is the correct spec, im not sure what 2 is talking about.

Is is rubbing the break pads, or the fork?????? You still havent told us. If its the break pads its no big deal. Just adjust them. If its the fork somethings wrong. Its either the QR isnt tight or the rotor bolts arnt tight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
elistan said:
the 8in is the correct spec, im not sure what 2 is talking about.

Is is rubbing the break pads, or the fork?????? You still havent told us. If its the break pads its no big deal. Just adjust them. If its the fork somethings wrong. Its either the QR isnt tight or the rotor bolts arnt tight.
I doesn't seem to be rubbing on the fork as I don't see any rub marks there. I checked the clearance on the pads and it seems fine, and my LBS adjusted the pads to try to solve the problem but didn't. I have also checked the QR and it is tight. I will tighten the rotor bolts and see if that helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2 in the hole was correct. I went to my bike shop and we called Trek. They confirmed that they are changing all bikes to 6" rotors front and back. They are sending out a new one to replace my 8".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
hard to control inventory

elistan said:
the 8in is the correct spec, im not sure what 2 is talking about.

Is is rubbing the break pads, or the fork?????? You still havent told us. If its the break pads its no big deal. Just adjust them. If its the fork somethings wrong. Its either the QR isnt tight or the rotor bolts arnt tight.
when you produce as many bikes as the trek corp does, its hard to purge inventories in all warehouses...so they look to the dealers to take careof this, which most dealers are incompitant and wont even bother since its to much work, grab the cash and send the customer on their way, this is why i no longer work with a shop unless i need replacment parts or i know the mechanic personally and he/she has some knowledge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
rotor, caliper, hub, or fork...

...that is the problem. either the fork is flexing, the front wheel isn't aligned in the dropouts (could be bad dropouts, could be user error), the caliper isn't properly adjusted or fastened, the rotor is bent or improperly fastened, or the pads are not withdrawing into the caliper after application. i suppose that the front hub rotor mount could be bad as well.

the frame, and the rotor diameter, is immaterial. On my 2005 Liquid 25 Frame I run 8" rotors front and rear with absolutely no problems whatsoever (Manitou Sherman Fork, Avid Mechanical Disk Brakes). I highly recommend 8" rotors if you weigh over 200 lbs., or if you do a lot of high speed downhill type stuff. I've been using them since November 2003, and love em'!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top