Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just ordered a RS Tora w/ 85-130 mm travel. If I buy a fs frame this summer, can I even consider something like the Kona Coiler w/ 150 mm of rear travel. Does 150 rear/ 130 front travel make sense? Or should I try to keep it below 130 for the rear shock? thanks

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Pretty sure it will work out fine

crazylax42 said:
So I just ordered a RS Tora w/ 85-130 mm travel. If I buy a fs frame this summer, can I even consider something like the Kona Coiler w/ 150 mm of rear travel. Does 150 rear/ 130 front travel make sense? Or should I try to keep it below 130 for the rear shock? thanks
The Coiler is designed to run a 150mm fork, so putting a shorter fork on it will affect the way the the bike rides. Not sure how much, were talking about a degree steeper in the headtube (and seattube) on a pretty slack headtube angle...so in theory it would quicken the steering a bit (and put you a tad more forward in the seating position). I have a 150mm fork on my '04 Stinky which is essentially the same frame as the '05 and '06 Coiler and when I have a long climb I lower it to 110mm (its a Sherman Flick) and it works great for climbs. I have forgotten to raise it back up a couple times and hit some single track and noticed it was quick steering, but the bike didn't do anything unpredictable. I say if you like the Coiler frame, go for it...and BTW they climb fine...unless you got a fire to go to:D

BTW-you don't have to have the same travel front and rear...how many V-10 owners do you think have 10 inch travel forks?....hmmm....NONE They run 7-8 inch forks with 10 inches of rear travel. Its not all that uncommon and as long as the suspension works well in unison, they don't need to be equal travel

Good luck

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
I have a pike (140mm) on mine and in all honesty would not personally put a tora on my bike. It'll be perfectly rideable, but it will steepen the entire bike's angles and your riding position.

I'd consider the kona dawg. From what I've heard and read it's a great bike and I've seen Pikes mounted on a few, so a slightly long fork wouldn't be any problem with it

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
crazylax42 said:
First off, what are you planning on doing on the bike. If its just All-Mountain, w/o largeish drops, buy a Dawg Frame. To me, it doesnt make sence to buy a 6inch travel bike like the coiler, and put a short travel fork up front. Right tool for the right job, u know? Now, if you plan on/or even foresee a more hardcore lifestyle and climb for the Downhills and Drops, I would stick with 150mm travel and get a Coiler frame. Personally, I would not use that short of a travel fork on my Coiler. 150mm is the the very minimum that "I" would use, and that even looks short to me now, as I keep my 66sl close to or at 170mm. But, I like to live dangeriously:p

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
A 10mm difference in travel (140mm vs 130mm) will result in less than 1/2 of a degree steepening of the headtube and seattube angles. It is highly unlikely that you would even notice the difference.

Lets use our brains here people :madman:
ok let's :)

The difference in travel of the two forks, marzocchi drop-off and rs pike is 10mm. The actual total crown height of the pike is in fact 20mm shorter because it is more compact than the notoriously tall crowned marzocchi fork. This means 10mm from travel and 10mm from crown/fork design. 20mm is 2 centimeters and yes steepening your bike a full degree actually is noticeable, I've ridden the bike both ways.
I like riding the Pike better because my fork doesn't wander as much from the added weight on the front. Some people put longer forks on it and that's probably noticeable too, but for better or worse that's their decision.

If you want me to find the crown height of the tora it's not difficult, but a rough geuss would be that it's ~30mm shorter than the stock drop-off. Again, this is because the marzocchi has 20mm more travel and a taller crown than the rockshox

hope that makes sense

and oh yea, I still think the dawg is the way to go if you're running a tora fork

EDIT:
http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/l...LN=UK&Sito=usa-mtb&IDFolder=229&Submit=Select
via this, the 06 OEM Drop-Off 4 is 539.7mm axle-to-crown length

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/Tora US4-310058-010_A.pdf
via this, the axle-to-crown of the tora is 509mm

well, 539.7 - 509 = 31.7, so if you slap a tora on the coiler you'll be putting a fork that's almost 3.2 cm or 1 1/4 in shorter
For front/rear suspension balance, that'll be a little off, but in terms of use and durability, the coiler frame is meant for a bit "beefier" fork.

hope that helps

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
umbertom

I was referring to your post comparing the travel of the Pike to the Tora...nowhere in that post did you present the argument of the stock Marzocchi to any of these forks. That's a totally different argument (and legitimate one) but was not what you were talking about in your original post. Lets stick to one subject at a time

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.