Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never was able to understand the adjustments on front shocks, I have the Manitu fork that came with the 05 Reign 2, what do the 3 dials do. shock does have upgraded springs in it, but still feels pretty squishy.

also, what is the max psi for both chambers on the swinger rear shock. the bottem chamber is new to me, what is it for?

I don't want to pay someone else to work on my bike, I want to do it. How do I tighten the brake levers? I can pull em down pretty far, pads and rotors seem to have lots of life left.

thanks for the help:thumbsup: , this bike is new to me. previoulsy had an 01 GT i-drive 3.0, that was a pretty different setup.

Forrest

·
Registered
326 Posts
Black4esT said:
I never was able to understand the adjustments on front shocks, I have the Manitu fork that came with the 05 Reign 2, what do the 3 dials do. shock does have upgraded springs in it, but still feels pretty squishy.

also, what is the max psi for both chambers on the swinger rear shock. the bottem chamber is new to me, what is it for?

I don't want to pay someone else to work on my bike, I want to do it. How do I tighten the brake levers? I can pull em down pretty far, pads and rotors seem to have lots of life left.

thanks for the help:thumbsup: , this bike is new to me. previoulsy had an 01 GT i-drive 3.0, that was a pretty different setup.

Forrest
For the rear shock set the main chamber about 75% - 80% of your body weight. and SPV chanber start with 75 psi and go from there.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If your bike didn't come with any manuals you should be able to find some on line. They can usually be a huge help. I've found suspension hard to dial in perfectly when it's your first good duallie as well (and my fork only has one knob plus the air valve!), I guess the manual doesn't help you get it perfect but it will give you a starting point anyway.
brakes - yes there is an adjustment screw for the lever - obvisously it varies with different brands - on mine (hayes soles) if you look on the back side of the lever blade follow it towards the main body or housing, the adjustment screw (you'll need a very small allen key) is in the actual lever pretty much parallel to the handlebars (as is the lever) just before the main body/housing.
Otherwise if you've got soles there is a manual pad adjustment - they can be wound in more to sit closer to the rotor by using an allen key.
I'm guessing you've got either Hayes or Avids.

For sram manuals check here:
http://www.sram.com/en/service/index.php

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got Hayes.

what are the rear shock chamber max psi? lower 150psi, upper 250psi? close?

front shock, has a compression adjust knob, a wind down travel knob and a blue knob on the bottem of the fork.

thanks again

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Black4esT said:
I got Hayes.

what are the rear shock chamber max psi? lower 150psi, upper 250psi? close?

front shock, has a compression adjust knob, a wind down travel knob and a blue knob on the bottem of the fork.

thanks again
Fork - that sounds like a Nixon Elite. If the spring is too soft, you need to buy a stiffer spring (no preload adjuster).

The blue knob on the bottom is rebound I think.

Compression - leave it fairly open for fast bumpy trails, dial it stiffer if you get brake dive.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Black4esT said:
I dont understand how to leave it open, it says + or -, so I assume that running higher compression is closed and there for stiffer
Yes "-" would be "open".

For compression, it's best to start with it all the way "open/soft/-" and only turn it to "+" as needed (like if you get too much brake dive, or bob or...).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks,

I am learning a lot right now about suspension dialing. finally i am feeling comfortable making adjustments and know what I expect to get from such adjustments. And also learned that its best to make adjustments in small steps instead of going from one extreme to the other, gives better understanding of whats going on under pressure

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.