Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Front Range People,

I was just wondering what tires you have had good luck with using Stans along the Front Range. Right now I am pretty happy with a Conti Explorer/Escape mix but was curious what else would work especially since I am (finally) going over to tubeless using Stans.

BTW- I ride mostly CX and have a few front range races on my road heavy schedule this summer.

Thanks! :confused:

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Serac said:
Hey Front Range People,

I was just wondering what tires you have had good luck with using Stans along the Front Range. Right now I am pretty happy with a Conti Explorer/Escape mix but was curious what else would work especially since I am (finally) going over to tubeless using Stans.

BTW- I ride mostly CX and have a few front range races on my road heavy schedule this summer.

Thanks! :confused:
From all I've heard you'll probably want to avoid using the Conti and Stans combination. I've read and seen many reports of problems with that combo.

I run Stans and I've had good luck with the Schwalbe tire line: Albert, Jimmy, Big Jim. I run a Big Jim up front and a Jimmy in the rear and it worked pretty well although I've recently moved from the Jimmy to a Kenda Nevegal for better climbing traction. Climbs great, rolls slow.

If you are a racer, then my tire recommendations won't mean much to you though. I can't imagine any racer wanting to run the slow rolling but grippy Nevegals, and they are known to wear pretty quickly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CX = cross country

I should point out that I ride exclusively cross country. Drop-offs and the like are not my favorite. I tend to pick the cleanest line and go hard. Oh, I ride a short travel, lightweight, FS Racer-X.

Thanks Guys!

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
Serac said:
I should point out that I ride exclusively cross country. Drop-offs and the like are not my favorite. I tend to pick the cleanest line and go hard. Oh, I ride a short travel, lightweight, FS Racer-X.

Thanks Guys!
I ran a Vertical front/Escape rear (both protection versions) with Stan's on my Racer X and the combo worked great. Lots more traction in the loose stuff than Pythons. Pythons are my favorite "race" tires, but they're just too skittish in the loose, steep sections. I'm running Kenda 2.1 Nevegals with Stan's now. As big as the Verts, tons of grip, but the sticky rubber makes 'em a little slow for some people, so you probably wouldn't like 'em. (Just FYI, the 2.0 Pythons, 2.1 Kendas and 2.3 Verticals are pretty much the same size. Higher volume tires are nice to have out here)

As for recommendations, I'd use Stan's and stick with the Contis (protection version definitely recommended), or try the 2.1 Kenda Karmas, Blue Grooves or Nevegals, in the non-sticky dual tread compound versions. I'm hearing great reports on Schwalbe tires, but haven't tried them yet. My next tires will be the dual compound 2.35 Nevegals, but I'm riding slowly on a 5" bike :p so I've got different priorities

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'm not a big believer in...

Semi-slicks. I think the loose stuff around here lends itself to a slightly more aggressive tire. For me, small knobs and round profiles are great. More traction with these means (I think) more speed. I just run slightly high pressure (40-45 psi).

I guess what I am really wondering is if what works in a tubed system can also work in tubeless or does one tend to run lower pressure after stans and, thus, alters the choice of tread pattern?

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Serac said:
Semi-slicks. I think the loose stuff around here lends itself to a slightly more aggressive tire. For me, small knobs and round profiles are great. More traction with these means (I think) more speed. I just run slightly high pressure (40-45 psi).

I guess what I am really wondering is if what works in a tubed system can also work in tubeless or does one tend to run lower pressure after stans and, thus, alters the choice of tread pattern?
I run about the same pressure with/without Stans. However, Stans max. recommended pressure is 40psi, so take that into account.

Having read the information in this thread, my pick of tire for your needs would probably be the Schwalbe Racing Ralph at least for the back tire. Maybe both, depending on how aggressive you want to go. Nice high volume tire that rolls incredibly well and has surprising grip (for a lighter, fast rolling tire).

I've used the Contis in the past and like them for their combination of good rolling and traction, but have since moved on to more traction and less rolling to meet my more aggressive riding needs.

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
Serac said:

With Stans, you should be able to convert any tubed setup to tubeless. Note: "should." People have had problems getting the setup to work properly. It takes some patience and an air compressor.

I wouldn't go much higher than 40psi using Stan's with standard tires. I typically run around 35psi (ran around 40psi with tubes) and have no complaints. The beauty of tubeless is that you don't have to run higher pressures to avoid flats. If you do want to run higher pressures, you should get UST tires and run some sealant in them. You'd probably end up dropping 5-10psi after the conversion anyway.

One of the reasons for avoiding higher pressures with Stans is that standard tires are lighter, but their sidewalls and beads are designed to be supported by a tube. Standard beads (and standard rims for that matter) tend to vary from brand to brand, and if you combine brand x rim with brand y tire using Stans, you could get the bead to blow off the rim at higher pressures. Some of the newer Bontrager and Nokian (I think) standard tires are coming with UST beads mated to a regular carcass. They're susposed to be used with UST rims and sealant. Nice solution. You get a great bead seal and a lighter tire.

Anyway, you'll hear all kinds of pros and cons, especially about Stans system. I love tubeless and won't be going back to tubes anytime soon. I'm compromising with regular tires and UST rims (XM819s). My ride feels faster and has more traction, even though I'm running lower pressures. And, oh yeah, haven't had a flat in about 2.5 years now :D I'd rather ride than fix a flat any day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.