Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've ridden out there before, at Green Mtn and Apex. Both were fun rides, Green mostly smooth and Apex a little tech in places, definitely a good time, but cardio-wise they whooped my ass. My sea level lungs couldn't handle the long climbs, no matter what speed I tried to hit them at.

So my question is: can anyone recommend trail systems similar to the two above (fun rides!), except with shorter climbs, or easier gradient climbs? Preferably something that's nice and dry for this weekend!! I don't mind having to drive to Colorado Springs or Boulder if need be. Thanks.

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
The key phrase...

EtE said:
Preferably something that's nice and dry for this weekend!! .
There are quite a few rides that'll fit your description, but will they be dry? With the rain coming in, Evergreen MAY be ready to ride this weekend. It drains pretty fast, but right now, Evergreen Mtn is very snowy. Hopefully the rain will wash the ice away and drain out before Sunday. If it dries out, I think EM/3 Sisters will be your ticket. Lair o' the Bear is fun (in a twisty, swoopy, thru the trees kinda way) but I'd have to guess it'll be another week before it's all dried out. I'll let others chime in on that...

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Most front range rides have big climbs....*shrug* just kind of how it is. Buffalo (sp) Creek is real good ride with no real big climbs but not sure if it's opened up yet. Bear Lake St. Park is pretty flat, but the riding I've done there isn't too awe inspiring. Can't think of anything that'll fit your bill up North either, maybe Hall (still climbing) or Devil's Backbone (more climbing)...don't know down south of DMetro area well enough to recommend anything down that way.

My suggestion is just get used to the climbing. :D Take breaks as needed, everybody does it. ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Elk Meadow (Not Bergan Peak). Waterton Canyon (not the single track). Highline Canal Trail, Cherry Creek Trail. Go to a ski area and just ride downhill. Or.... GUT IT and ride till you get used to the altitude.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol. Last time I was in town I rode that Cherry Creek Trail! It was really easy, but people that live downtown are lucky to have singletrack that accessible.

Yeah, I guess I'll just post again on Thursday or Friday to see if Apex/Green Mtn is dry enough, and go there. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm in town for a few days before heading out to Fruita, so I don't want to relax too much! Better to get some rides in during the wait!!

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
ibmkidIII said:
Most front range rides have big climbs....*shrug* just kind of how it is. Buffalo (sp) Creek is real good ride with no real big climbs but not sure if it's opened up yet. Bear Lake St. Park is pretty flat, but the riding I've done there isn't too awe inspiring. Can't think of anything that'll fit your bill up North either, maybe Hall (still climbing) or Devil's Backbone (more climbing)...don't know down south of DMetro area well enough to recommend anything down that way.

My suggestion is just get used to the climbing. :D Take breaks as needed, everybody does it. ;)
Getting used to the climbing is a tough task, and it certainly doesn't happen quickly. I spent the better part of the winter struggling with any climb, but I'm finally starting to see some improvement.

The Backbone has some climbing, but to me its mostly in one big chunk. Good, rocky technical ride that I can't get enough of. Just ride till it burns, ride a little further and then take a break and recover. Also spinning "base" miles on the road or on my trainer seemed to help me build up some base conditioning. Its just tough to do, I moved from Oklahoma where a long climb is 300ft so I understand totally....

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not that I have trouble climbing in general, only when I'm out there. It's pretty much impossible to get used to it, because I'm never out for more than two weeks at a time. But I've hit some climbs down in virginia recently in the arena of 1800 feet vertical gain. At 5000 feet though, my lungs feel like they're going to explode, and I have an asthma attack.

And I don't even HAVE asthma!!
:)

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
EtE said:
It's not that I have trouble climbing in general, only when I'm out there. It's pretty much impossible to get used to it, because I'm never out for more than two weeks at a time. But I've hit some climbs down in virginia recently in the arena of 1800 feet vertical gain. At 5000 feet though, my lungs feel like they're going to explode, and I have an asthma attack.

And I don't even HAVE asthma!!
:)
Gotcha. I thought you had just recently moved out here, didn't realize you were on a temporary stay. Hard to build up much of a base in two weeks. And also hard to adapt quickly to the thin air, which is a much bigger factor than I ever expected.

Everyone told me to drink lots of water, although I really don't know what that helps but it can't hurt...

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
If you want to go the CO Springs, Palmer Park is perfect. That's what I'd do and I'd bet it's pretty dry...not much sustained climbing, more rolling and technical.

·
Arrrgggghhh!!
281 Posts
Snowed in now, but the West Mag trails in Ned are pretty easy on the climbing, and still fun. They are higher up (around 8 or 9K) than the city trails, so the altitude burn will be even worse.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Jdub said:
Everyone told me to drink lots of water, although I really don't know what that helps but it can't hurt...
It's a chance to breathe during the pee breaks.

·
1,069 Posts
Speaking of Buffalo Creek...

ibmkidIII said:
Buffalo (sp) Creek is real good ride with no real big climbs but not sure if it's opened up yet.
Has anyone been out that way lately? Evergreen looks pretty good, and I'll be it looks better this weekend, so I'm guessing that BC will be OK over most of the trails for Sunday.

But it'd be nice to have a real trail report before driving to Bailey :eek:

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Bc

coolhandluchs said:
Has anyone been out that way lately? Evergreen looks pretty good, and I'll be it looks better this weekend, so I'm guessing that BC will be OK over most of the trails for Sunday.

But it'd be nice to have a real trail report before driving to Bailey :eek:
I rode there about 2 weeks ago and it was pretty good.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=90723

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
This weekend:

Well, Marshall mesa, East boulder trail and West foothills are easy on the climbs...a different experience of Boulder too.

You could drive to the top of white ranch and just do the upper loops.

Betasso, (but closed on saturday)

Hall ranch has way less climbing that apex, chimney gulch, but IMO it's more strenuous as green mountain

OR you could just ride green mountain and get stronger, despite coughing up a lung.

·
1,069 Posts
sandan said:
I rode there about 2 weeks ago and it was pretty good.
Thanks Mike. I'm thinking I may try to get some peeps out there Saturday...just depends on the weather. I was going to try to wait 'til Sunday, but it looks like it's gonna rain all day.

Are you interested in riding CCSP again? I've been pretty consistant: Every MWF at 6pm I'm headed down the road to the park. Hopefully it'll make a difference come trail time :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mt. Falcon -- Topside

Try the upper loops on Mt. Falcon by driving to the top of the park. Your at a higher elevation which will break you in quicker but the climbs are small relatively speaking. Also, if your experiencing light-headedness or your really short of breath, you should try using the "pressure breathing" technique that high altitude climbers use. It really makes a difference...

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
coolhandluchs said:
Thanks Mike. I'm thinking I may try to get some peeps out there Saturday...just depends on the weather. I was going to try to wait 'til Sunday, but it looks like it's gonna rain all day.

Are you interested in riding CCSP again? I've been pretty consistant: Every MWF at 6pm I'm headed down the road to the park. Hopefully it'll make a difference come trail time :p
I'll try to hook up with you on wednesday. I'm out of town for the weekend, so if you hit BC, have a great time. BTW- I rode White Ranch last week and it was in great shape.

·
Registered
196 Posts
there are a couple in Fort Collins...

If you want to come up here there are a few (kinda short) rides that are fun, but don't have much climbing.

You can ride the Pineridge City Open Space (west end of Horsetooth Road) for 5-7 miles without any big climbs. If you can make it up Maxwell (short, but steep climb) then the Shoreline trail along the east edge of the Res would add some more quality miles.

Also, in Lory State Park the Valley trails make for a nice ride. Not very technical, but I always have fun with all the whoop-dee-doos and winding singletrack.

Everything else (Horsetooth Mt Park, Coyote Ridge, Michaud, etc) all has bigger climbing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.