Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Freaking awesome. Last year I rode the same place (my local stomping ground) a few times in the snow on the Fuel with 2.25 tires aired down as low as I could go. It was rideable in a few inches of fresh stuff but with it as deep as today plus drifts I would be stopping and dabbing all the time. The tires on the Pugs can be aired down further than I've got them now but I still had to ride on the road a bit to get there from work. All hills were climbable with a little finess and the bike just trucked along doing what it was designed to do.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
nbrennan said:
Hey, a few questions about the pugsly. What tires are you running? I've never seen the large marge in a skin wall. How do your breaks work in the snow?
They're large marge's. The skinwall was available at one time but now it's just the all black. These are in decent shape so I expect since this is primarily a snow machine that they'll last quite a while. By the time I need new ones I'll probably be drooling over building a light wheelset too.

The brakes work fine in the snow as does the shifting. The discs and the full length cables contribute a lot to that. I ran standard cables last year and would frequently only have one gear after the bike was ridden and then sat cold (I commute everyday). Today I only had to kick the ice off the front derailler itself once and other than that all gears still work like normal. It's still quite easy to lock up the front or rear wheels but you're going slower than normal in the snow anyway so control isn't a problem. The biggest thing is being smooth in your inputs as 4" tires or not you can still break traction at will if you manhandle the bike.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Pivvay said:
Got a real ride in on the Pugs finally. So much fun breaking trail in fresh snow :cool:
Sweet! I made it out on the Pugs today also. El Beastro is in sunny warm Mexico, but left his Pugs at the shop with me. Not many opportunities come up for me to ride that thing in good snow conditions, so I couldn't resist.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.