Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ride
5,275 Posts
single track mind said:
Nice weather. In Austin, we had one trail we could ride right after it rained without fear of damaging the trail. Are there any like that up here? (Longmont/Loveland/Ft. Collins)
This time of year, that would include about any of them. Heil Ranch has been known to hold moisture, but it should still be fine. Hall Ranch and the Backbone are usually better after heavy rains. Pretty much anything up high will be fine, too. Rocky, sandy soil and steep terrain allow for water to drain quicker than preferable a lot of times.

If you're up for a 6:30pm ride tomorrow, a group of us ride Hall Ranch from the visitor's center in Lyons. It's on the SE corner of 4th and Broadway. Sometimes the group is just me, but there's been quite a few folks at times. Hall will be sweet tomorrow.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
single track mind said:
Nice weather. In Austin, we had one trail we could ride right after it rained without fear of damaging the trail. Are there any like that up here? (Longmont/Loveland/Ft. Collins)
FYI, I'll be heading up a bit higher Thursday morning. Leaving Longmont around 9am, I think. Sourdough area, or maybe something between Estes-Loveland area.

Shoot me a message if interested in going. Bring a shell. ;)

Dave

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ignazjr said:
This time of year, that would include about any of them. Heil Ranch has been known to hold moisture, but it should still be fine. Hall Ranch and the Backbone are usually better after heavy rains. Pretty much anything up high will be fine, too. Rocky, sandy soil and steep terrain allow for water to drain quicker than preferable a lot of times.

If you're up for a 6:30pm ride tomorrow, a group of us ride Hall Ranch from the visitor's center in Lyons. It's on the SE corner of 4th and Broadway. Sometimes the group is just me, but there's been quite a few folks at times. Hall will be sweet tomorrow.
If it lets up in the early afternoon, I'm in. Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scrublover said:
FYI, I'll be heading up a bit higher Thursday morning. Leaving Longmont around 9am, I think. Sourdough area, or maybe something between Estes-Loveland area.

Shoot me a message if interested in going. Bring a shell. ;)

Dave
Thanks for the offer, but I've gotta work. Plus, it's pretty darn damp out there, still.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
single track mind said:
Thanks for the offer, but I've gotta work. Plus, it's pretty darn damp out there, still.
been dumping off and on all night here in longmont. i'm going to head up to sourdough and at least check it out; only half an hour drive time for me. day off, and i've got nothing else to do......

·
Registered
938 Posts
Clay

:mad: Watch out for the stuff, it's evil. You generally only run into it on the lower elevation trails and out on the mesas, like Marshall Mesa or S. Table Mountain in Golden. But it crops up in other places too. Heil Ranch has a clay section at the start of the singletrack when you go through the prairie dog colony. It can look totally fine, like hardpack, but if you try to ride through it when it's wet it will totally junk up your tires and drivetrain, and it's really hard to get off, either wet or dry. You only need to roll the tires a few times to crap everything up. But like the other guys said, the higher elevation trails are usually better. Even Apex is normally fine in the rain, as well as White Ranch.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
single track mind said:
The Backbone really soaks up the rain. The front area used to get really muddy, but they've worked hard to fix that. There are still some areas where water pools, but for the most part, after a rain, the trail is rideable within an hour.

·
Registered
220 Posts
In Fort Collins, I used to do Horsetooth Mtn Park after it rained (or before, during...well I did it all the time) But, my point is the soil up there is made up of a mostly sand composition. Meaning it won't stick to your tires too much and it dries quickly.

If it's super wet, I'd stick to the main service road. The singletrack is more soil = mud.

If you get the chance go check out Horsetooth Falls (it's on the map). Usually in the summer like this it's more like a "drip", but after rains it goes full gush....pretty cool!

The downside? You still have to pay $6.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
El Beastro said:
Single Track Mind,

Squeaky Wheel and I are meeting at Mtn. High Cyclery at 8 am on Saturday morning if you'd like to meet us for a ride at Devil's Backbone. Just park at the shop and we'll motor over from there.

Hope to see you....

--El Beastro
Thanks for the invite, but I'll be flying back to Austin on the weekends until I get the family moved up here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.