Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
mtbr member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, something I've never dealt with here. I've got an 08 Stumpy Expert with a Fox F32 120mm fork. I'm looking at upgrading the fork and going to a 140mm, but most of these new forks are now 15mm thru axle. Can I simply replace my front hub with a 15mm design without doing anything else to the wheel? If not, what else is involved?

From Specialized: Specialized Hi Lo disc, 28h CNC flange and disc mount, sealed cartridge bearing, 9mm DT RWS alloy QR

I am also looking for a used fork, there is a chance that I could end up finding one with a 20mm thru axle...so should I get a hub that has the capability to go from 15-20mm?

Finally, what hubs to stay AWAY from?

thx for the help on a new subject for me.

BQ

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
bquinn said:
Ok, something I've never dealt with here. I've got an 08 Stumpy Expert with a Fox F32 120mm fork. I'm looking at upgrading the fork and going to a 140mm, but most of these new forks are now 15mm thru axle. Can I simply replace my front hub with a 15mm design without doing anything else to the wheel? If not, what else is involved?

From Specialized: Specialized Hi Lo disc, 28h CNC flange and disc mount, sealed cartridge bearing, 9mm DT RWS alloy QR

I am also looking for a used fork, there is a chance that I could end up finding one with a 20mm thru axle...so should I get a hub that has the capability to go from 15-20mm?

Finally, what hubs to stay AWAY from?

thx for the help on a new subject for me.

BQ
Your hub might be convertible to 15mm.

If not, you need a new hub. The spokes will need to be replaced, too. Better to get a whole new wheel than reuse your present rim.

Not a bad idea to get a hub that can be converted to all axle types, such as the Hope Pro II or DT Swiss 240 Oversize.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Will a DT Swiss 240 Oversize at 110 mm wide, convert to a 100 mm wide size for QR or 15 mm axles?

shiggy said:
Your hub might be convertible to 15mm.

If not, you need a new hub. The spokes will need to be replaced, too. Better to get a whole new wheel than reuse your present rim.

Not a bad idea to get a hub that can be converted to all axle types, such as the Hope Pro II or DT Swiss 240 Oversize.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.