Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,
Will eventually be getting my 5.25" rockers and float.
What i would like to know is what fork travel would be best for the this setup at the rear ?
I am thinking of getting a minute 2 and have to decide on the travel, 100mm or 130mm
In the mountain bike action they had a SB with a 5.25" rocker andwere using a 100 , andI have read on the forums here that someguys are using a 130mm with the 5.25" rockers.
What is the best option as I dont have the bucks to bye a 100 and a130 mm fork.
thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a Minute 3 with the 5.25" rockers

Bike feels the best at 130mm except when doing long climhs. If you do a lot of long climbs I would go with a Minute 3, otherwise I would go with a 130mm Minute 2. You can still climb OK at 130 mm but it is just a little better at 100 when climbing. However there is a major difference on downhills between 130 and 100 and that should be the reason you got the Switchblade in the first place. The 100mm didn't make a lot of since to me and you also read that MBA preferred the longer travel bike as well.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that si true...

Bu the longer travel version had 5.7" at the back.
I heard there were issues regarding the Minute 3 and the 100mm setting , that the fork cannot really be ridden in that mode. maybe a talas rl would be a better option..

DirtHog said:
Bike feels the best at 130mm except when doing long climhs. If you do a lot of long climbs I would go with a Minute 3, otherwise I would go with a 130mm Minute 2. You can still climb OK at 130 mm but it is just a little better at 100 when climbing. However there is a major difference on downhills between 130 and 100 and that should be the reason you got the Switchblade in the first place. The 100mm didn't make a lot of since to me and you also read that MBA preferred the longer travel bike as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I believe that the 100mm mode on the Minute 3 was designed

as a climbing mode and not to be rided hard. I do know some riders who have left their fork in 100mm mode for weeks at a time without short term consequences but Manitou does not recommend riding the bike hard in 100mm mode. If the fork is tuned for 130mm, the fork has very stiff compression in 100mm mode so climbing is the only thing worth doing at that setting. I am not aware of any other issues regarding the 100mm setting,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.