Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie trying to fix a broken bike on a budget. Got a new frame but the forks steer tube is to short to attach the handle bar stem from the old bike. Is there anyway around this without having to buy a new fork ? And if not what are some recommended front suspension forks ?

Measurements:

Front fork steer tube - 6.5in
Available steer tube after fork is installed - 1 1/4 in.
Length of handle bar stem - 1.5 in
Needed fork steer tube (if work around is unavailable) - 7.5ish in.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You need a short stack height stem. Do a search here on mtbr with the keywords "stack stem" in the title and read through the threads. You'll need something with 35mm or less.

FSA XC115, Profile Hammer OS, Syntace, Sunline etc,

You may also need a headset with a short stack height. Crank Bros have a very low stack height, but I wouldn't use one if I didn't have to,

When you do find a stem you have to make sure the top pinch bolt's center point is not above the top of the steer tube.

·
Uncle
4,388 Posts
1/2 inch is quite a bit. I've gotten away with having enough steer tube to extend into the stem above/beyond the highest fixing bolts. But with some of the single bolt stems out there (truvativ), this could be a bad approach.

Keep in mind that the steer tube doesn't need to come to the absolute top of the stem; In fact, when the steer tube sits flush with the top of the stem, a spacer is necessary to give the top cap room to take up slack. In other words, the top of the steer tube should sit down in the stem by 2mm or so to allow room for the proper preload on the headset IF you're not going to put a spacer on top.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.