Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to purchase a new front fork for my Trek Fuel 100 (sad story - ran the bike into the garage while still on the car rack). Anyway, I see the reviews on the RockShox Sid World Cup are mixed and since I need to purchase a new fork would like advice on other shocks I should consider.

Me as a rider: I'm a female, 6' and 180 lbs. My legs are longer and my torso is shorter than most men my height, plus I don't have the upper body weight that men often have to weight down the front of the bike - if that matters. I'm a relatively newcomer to mountain biking and was previously riding a Trek 900 that was too large for me so the front wheel almost never felt under control and I fell alot. I'd say I'm a beginning/intermediate rider, but I really want to improve my skills and be able to ride faster than I currently do. I don't plan to race however - but who knows... I want a bike that I can travel with to any area, so my local trails are not the best judge of which fork.

One concern I have in switching forks is that I don't know enough about components to know why I'm having so much fun on this bike compared to my old one. My success on the mountain biking trails in my area increased dramatically with the Trek Fuel 100. Thus, I don't want to lose performance when I buy a new shock.

I'd really appreciate any advice on my dilema. It was difficult enough to choose the right mountain bike, much less understand enough about components to choose the best fork! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would look at a Fox fork. I have a F100x on my Epic and love it. However it's not cheap. A less expensive option would be Fox Float. I've ridden forks from all the different makes and for XC nothing beats the Foxs.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
You should stick with an 80mm fork to preserve the geometry of your bike and the feel you like. Given that you are 180 pounds, the Sid is not the best choice as it is somewhat flexy. My first choice would be a Fox Float 80mm followed by a Manitou Skareb.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts