Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to mount a front tire fender to a headshock? Due to the air valve on the underside of the fork my LBS told me it can't be done. Is this true?

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
There's always a way I guess, it might just require some creativity but you can mount a downtube fender. And remember, mud makes your skin soft though. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I figured. But I would rather not mount a downtube fender beacuse it just gets in the way of the front der. cable. Does anybody have any advice from experience on how to mount a front fender to a headshock?

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,268 Posts
Marclan said:
Yeah I figured. But I would rather not mount a downtube fender beacuse it just gets in the way of the front der. cable. Does anybody have any advice from experience on how to mount a front fender to a headshock?
If you just have to go on the fork, get creative with Zip-ties, and some carefully created holes in said fender. That said though, I run a downtube fender, on several bikes actually, and all of them are downtube cable runs. The SKS MudMax has little points that allow it to stand away from your tube, your cables run freely through, and all is good in the world.. Good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Did it last year..

I favor SKS fenders and there is an adapter you can buy to mount them on bikes equipped with Headshocks. The part costs $6 at A.E. Bike and will allow you to use the Shockboard (older) or Shockblade (newer) fenders. Here's the link.

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=FE1046

Note: I had a '98 F500 with a P-Bone Headshock, which I believe was an early model, if not the original. As a result, it didn't have much clearance (maybe 1 to 1 1/2 inches) and the Headshock adapter did not work for me by the time you mounted it and the fender. It also wouldn't fit with my V-brakes. My solution was to cut the fender in half (there is an upper-front portion and a lower-back portion) and, using some misc. hardware/brackets I keep around, I was able to build a little mounting bracket that fit on the bolt hole in the front of the fork (must have been there for accessories or something). I rode that solution all through last winter without a problem. I still have the Headshock adapter, which I can't use because the bike was stolen. If you want it, you can have it.. private e-mail me your address. You could mount it and get a Shockblade from a local retailer and try it - if you can't get it to work, take the fender back and it won't cost you anything.

I don't know anything about the air valve but assume that's got something to do with air for the shock being pumped from the bottom side? I don't know how often you pump your shock but, if it's not very often, you could go with the solution I just gave you and just have to cut/re-zip tie the adapter every time you need access to the air valve.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a front fender from THE products on my headshok. They had a special adapter for the fatty. don't use it anymore since I traded my old SuperV carbon for a Jekyll with a Lefty fork and it does not fit any more.

do not know if they still exist, but they are nice products. I think they are better looking then the SKS as well.

rgds,

Marc

·
Crooooow!
54 Posts
does your headshock have V brakes bosses?

I made one for my super v 2000 ...took a brake stiffener arch and made a "L" out of thin metal and hooked up the fender...worked great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts