Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not necessarily a fork question, but I Have play in my front end. I notice it when I use my front brakes. What are the possible causes and solutions? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm no expert...

But i think, and this is what i was told when my fork did that...your bushings may need to be replaced....Or the other thing is that you need to readjust your stem/headset/topcap...
Anyone else with a more expert opinion?

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Not So Fast said:
This is not necessarily a fork question, but I Have play in my front end. I notice it when I use my front brakes. What are the possible causes and solutions? Thank you in advance.
This is a rather open ended question.

First check the head set is everything working correctly here? Test by locking the front brake with your other hand on the top or bottom of the head set cups (I test from both locations to double check my work) if ther is any play or clunking noise fealling that can be detected here then adjust the headset.

Second, which fork are you running? if it is worn bushings you will have a soft clunking when rocked back and forth. Turning the wheel 90 degrees and rock once agin the play should be gone. If this is the case replace the bushings. If it is a hard clunk then you have other problems with the fork. It could be something internal that needs attention, have it checked out. (My fox the lower sanctions were out of tolerance from Fox and bushings would not seat propperly, Fork is currently in for repair with PUSH/FOX and hope to see it back soon).

Also have seen loose brake calipers and loose wheel bearing causing a clunking noise, but these are only in rare cases.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Not So Fast said:
Could be the hubs too - grab the lowers of the fork, and shake them, see if the play is below them - if it is, chaces are you need to tighten the cones in your hubs (well, depends onthe hubs - mine were Deore)

If it's higher up it may be the headset. In between, the forks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bushings

I cleaned and lubed my steering post and headset that didnt help. So off to the LBS I went. My LBS said it looks like bushings are going bad (Fox Talas RLC). They recommend sending it to Fox and letting them refurbish. Does it make sense to send to FOX or have it sent to Push. By the way whats the web address for Push?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
pushindustries.com...some aren't happy with Fox service times any more, and with PUSH you have the option of having it custom tuned, too...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.