Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to start, this is my first post on these forums. I'm also in the process of overhauling my entire bike this summer. Ive got a 2000 GT Outpost with a 21 or 22" frame. My goal for the summer is changing out all the components. Right now I'd like to ask for some input on my fork dilema. Right now I have a really crappy headset which is basically a headset and stem combo. Its oldschool. Anyways I want to upgrade to a nice "aheadset" headset and an EA50 stem. My question is, in order to do this i'd need a shock with like a 10" steerer tube right? Now I'm looking at shocks on ebay and they are all about 7-8". Now correct me if im wrong, please, but doesn't the EA50 stem clamp around the very top of my steerer tube? On my bike now, the steerer tube just comes up to the top of that shaft the steerer tube is in and thats it. My currernt headset goes down into it. Do you guys understand what im talking about? My buddies that I ride with have like 17 1/2" frames and there steerer tube come up real high and they're running like 3 or 4 stem spacers. Am I basically screwed and stuck with my current stem/headset combo? Thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
166 Posts
First of all, you'll need to check that you have a 1 1/8" headtube. If you do have that, you will have to switch to a aheadset-type-headset in order to fit a modern suspension fork. The headset you have now is a threaded headset, and it is incompatible with modern forks. If you have a 1" headset, I'd say forget about the upgrade.

Most forks come with steerer tubes that are approx 10-12 inches long as new. Depending on the stem, youll need at least two inches to play with. Measure your headtube and add 3/4 of an inch for headset stack height. How much does it sum up to?

I did a similar upgrade to my '95 Trek 850, and it too had an enormously long headtube, due to a frame size of 21".

Bottom line however, is it an upgrade worth doing? Youll have to shell out for a new fork, a headset and a stem and that is a huge price to pay in order to upgrade an "outdated" bike...I ended up selling the bike for a better one, and could have saved a lot by just buying a new bike in the first place..

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
yes, you'll likely need seomthing like 9-10" of steerer tube & yes, a threadless stem clamps onto the steerer tube, unlike you're threaded system, in which your stem's quill inserts into the steerer tube. If yours is a late model GT, then I'd suspect that you have the common size of 1 1/8" headset.
To check, if you pull up your stem and look for some numbers on the quill. It should be inscribed with a number like 25.4 or 22.2, which is the diameter of the quill. If the diameter is 1"/25.4mm then you've got a 1 1/8" headset. Or, if you've got access to some calipers, measure the quill. If it's 22.2 (7/8") then you should rethink your plan, since a decent 1" fork is hard to find these days.

Like the other mentioned, measure the length of your headtube, add about an 1" for the headset stack height, and another ~3" for stem stack height and a spacer or three (stem stack heights are variable, but figure ~40-50mm). New forks come with an uncut steerer length of at least 10".
coupla links to check out to help you out.
http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/faq.htm
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

Sounds like you're a guy on the larger side or at least tall, if that's the case, you may want to think about a stem that has 3 or 4 bolts on face clamp (ie thomson) or at least a larger face clamp area. I found the easton ea-70 stem a bit on the flexy side compared to some stouter stems, but I've only tried the ea-70, so the ea-50 may be better. I do like the ea-70 seatpost though.

It will prolly be cheaper to buy a new bike compared to replacing all the bits piecemeal, but I've also bought bikes on ebay for their parts or frame for a lot cheaper, but it depends on if you know what you're doing and what you're getting yourself into (compatibility).

DiscoStu said:
Well to start, this is my first post on these forums. I'm also in the process of overhauling my entire bike this summer. Ive got a 2000 GT Outpost with a 21 or 22" frame. My goal for the summer is changing out all the components. Right now I'd like to ask for some input on my fork dilema. Right now I have a really crappy headset which is basically a headset and stem combo. Its oldschool. Anyways I want to upgrade to a nice "aheadset" headset and an EA50 stem. My question is, in order to do this i'd need a shock with like a 10" steerer tube right? Now I'm looking at shocks on ebay and they are all about 7-8". Now correct me if im wrong, please, but doesn't the EA50 stem clamp around the very top of my steerer tube? On my bike now, the steerer tube just comes up to the top of that shaft the steerer tube is in and thats it. My currernt headset goes down into it. Do you guys understand what im talking about? My buddies that I ride with have like 17 1/2" frames and there steerer tube come up real high and they're running like 3 or 4 stem spacers. Am I basically screwed and stuck with my current stem/headset combo? Thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot for the information guys. I am 6'4" and 200lbs. I've thought about buying a new bike but I just cant afford it. I know most bike shops offer financing but I can't put myself into any deaper debt. So I thought it'd be fun this summer to overhaul my bike. I'm a real hands on type of person who loves working with tools. Now I'm very familiar with working on cars, but mountain bikes are new to me. I've seen a bunch of last years judy XC shocks on various websites for around $100. It appears to me the only way I'm going to be able to make this work is to just buy a new shock with an uncut steerer tube.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Yo Disco'-
something to check on... if those forks you're looking at w/ too short steerers for threadless have steel steerers, they might be able to be used as threaded. Might, I say, because some steel steerers are too thin to be threaded and I'm not familiar w/ Judy's past ~'98.
It's something you could call sram/rockshox about.

DiscoStu said:
Thanks alot for the information guys. I am 6'4" and 200lbs. I've thought about buying a new bike but I just cant afford it. I know most bike shops offer financing but I can't put myself into any deaper debt. So I thought it'd be fun this summer to overhaul my bike. I'm a real hands on type of person who loves working with tools. Now I'm very familiar with working on cars, but mountain bikes are new to me. I've seen a bunch of last years judy XC shocks on various websites for around $100. It appears to me the only way I'm going to be able to make this work is to just buy a new shock with an uncut steerer tube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.