Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
3,617 Posts
Old Man Mountain

Robert_in_ca said:
Need to find a rack that will work for the Surly Instigator fork, using disc brakes. Any ideas?

Thanks
an Old Man Mountain Rack will work...
the set that i have, works on just about any bike...

I've had the front rack mounted on a Rock Shox Sid
mounted on the Cdale Fatty Head Shok
and mounted to the Big Dummy fork.

i particularly like OMM racks, simply bcz they work on many bikes.

*note that the front racks i have used, none of them are "low riders". the panniers sit up high, as compared to typical front racks, that are designed for road touring, where the pannier(s) are closer to the axel.

personally, i feel that if i'm putting a rack up front, I want the deck too. i like to strap my sandals, and water filter to this spot. for me... i think that if i had a set of panniers so close to the ground, that I'd probably end up tearing them before too long.

thats my 2cents.

peace...d

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, yeah I like the OMM but they are way out of my budget, considering I can't get them at cost like I can with JAAND and Surly(I'm a mechanic at a bike shop)

Is the JAAND rack compatible with the Instigator fork while running disc brakes?

The Jannd is about 30 bucks cheaper...Is the Surly rack worth the extra money?

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I have the Surly rack. The platform is nice. It's good and wide. Holds a 12 pack great. Panniers mount up easy and at various heights for on road or off road. It's probably the best rack that will please you in performance forever, it's just a bit heavy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SelfPropelledDevo said:
which JANND rack?
would you post a pic, or a link?

d-
The JANND Extreme rack.

Jandd Extreme Front Mount Rack is the only equipment to reach for when front panniers are a necessity.

Extreme

* Height: (Overall) 16.75 in/42.5 cm
* Height: Pannier Mounting 12 in/30.5 cm
* Width: 6 in/15.25 cm
* All stress points are double-welded

Rack Length: 13.25 ins
Rack Weight Limit: 25 lbs
Color: Black
Weight: 1,055.0 g

And for comparison sakes, the Surly.

The Surly Nice Front Rack is adjustable to fit from 26" to 29" wheels.

Nice

* Adjustable to fit from 26" to 29" wheels
* Repairable
* MSRP Policy

Rack Length:
Rack Weight Limit: 70 lbs
Color: Black
Weight: 1,382.0 g

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wow, the Surly can hold a full 45 lbs more than the JANND...

I think my mind has just been made.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, now that I've done some more research, I think they are the way to go...

OK so, if you guys are interested this is what I'm doing.

A while back I got one of the Nashbar Steel MTB frames for like 40 bucks shipped, brand new. Has disc brake mounts, all the rack eyelets needed and it was blue(I like blue :) ) so it was a no brainer. I bought a Surly Instigator fork for 50 bucks...disc brake mounts, rack eyelets, burly, and it's tall.

I'm basically going to use the Nashbar frame and build it up with super durable parts that will one day transfer over to something else, when I have the money for something nicer.

Here's the build I have planned...

Nashbar Steel MTB frame
Surly Instigator Fork
Surly Nice Racks, front and rear
Shimano XT775 hubs, 36H black
DT Swiss Alpine III Spokes(as long as they'll work with the hubs, still looking into that, if not then Competition)
Mavic EN521 Rims(still researching different Mavic rims for the job though)
Brass Nipples
Kenda Small Block 8's for offroad bike camping and Schwalbe Marathon XR's for mixed terrain/longer tours
2008 Shimano XT crankset, with Action-Tec 20T Titanium granny, Stock 32T Carbon/Stainless middle ring, 46 T Shimano Outer ring
Shimano XT 11-34 Cassette
Shimano XTR chain
Sram X9 Der, long cage
Sram X0 Shifters
Avid BB7 Brakes, 203mm front, 185mm rear.
XTR Brake levers
Titec H-Bar
Thomson Elite Stem
Chris King headset
Ergon Grips(not sure how these will work with the H-Bar, so that might change to ODI Rogue or Oury Lockons)
Thomson Seatpost(maybe a Thudbuster)
Brooks B17 with slot cutout(when it's released)
Time Atac carbon pedals

Eventually I'll have a custom heavy duty Titanium frame built with S&S couplers, and a custom rigid fork with 20mm thru axle...This bike is going to be something else, still in the dreaming up stage...

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Keep in mind the JANND rack requires mid-blade eyelets, but the Surly Nice Rack has adapters you can mount on the fork in place of the eyelets. It took me almost three hours fiddling with all the hardware to get the Surly Nice Rack on just the way I want it, framesavered and clean, square and level. I've never installed a rack before, but it's super sturdy.

3,617 Posts
Robert_in_ca said:
sounds like a solid build... personally i dont like shimano chains, only bcz i dont like breaking a new push pin (if thats still their method) every time i break the chain. i like KMC chains bcz they are cheap, they last, and they have a "power link" of some sort. SRAM, then Wipperman... in order of preference. i simply like the "power link" thing.

you may way to try out a Thudbuster seatpost (Cane Creek), if you've never done so in the past, they are ultra comfy... i can only imagine how it would be combined with a Brooks Saddle. I have San Marcos Regal on a Thudbuster, that is mounted to the Hunter... sure is comfy...

sounds like a solid build...

peace...d

3,617 Posts
Robert_in_ca said:
Sram X9 Der, long cage
Sram X0 Shifters
Avid BB7 Brakes, 203mm front, 185mm rear.
XTR Brake levers
Titec H-Bar
Ergon Grips(not sure how these will work with the H-Bar, so that might change to ODI Rogue or Oury Lockons)
I'm not too sure how you will like GripShift on the H-bar. (maybe you are using X.0 triggers)
a few years back, i wanted to run this combo too, but every time i fit things together in a "mock setup", i ended up with Sram triggers.

personally I prefer Sram 1:1 rear derailleurs, therefore i have to run some kind of SRAM 1:1 shifter. the hunter has X.O twisters, the Pug X.O triggers, and the Dummy X.7 triggers.

i had bought an X.7 long cage rear derailleur, with some kind of notions about a larger rear cog, but as it turns out... where in the world would i find a 45t rear cogset anyways?

i think a medium cage will handle a 37t as it is...

X.7 triggers are good for the money... hands down...
as to grips...
on the Pug i've been using a set of Oury lock-on grips... i've used them for years... i love(d) them... i mostly like that the metal lock rings are so durable. mostly translating to durability when it comes to crashes, or anytime the bike falls over...

*seems to me that some kind of high impact ABS(?) plastic would be awesome for barend plugs.*

its been about 2yrs that i've used H-bars, and thats on the daily. i like em... a lot. but recently I've discovered (thank you to Jeff Jones, whom I met out at Sea Otter) how this bar is intended to be used... not meaning the only way...
so jeff likes to place his hands right at the weld seem, of what would be bar-ends.

me... I've been keeping my hands at the widest ends closest to me... thats fine... but... as Jeff showed me...
since then... i've wrapped the bars on the Dummy from the center on out to the Oury grips, with cork tape. i've also made the control surfaces as flat and clean as possible. this simply lets me put my hands on that welded section.

i can definitely see how Jeff intends this bar to work, and it feels natural that way. what i really need to do, is completely re-wrap the bar, and maybe get rid of grips all together, and only use bar tape.

i also had wanted to run a SRAM road lever... so i talked to the SRAM guys while at Sea Otter this year... but none of this combo technically works. they dont have a triple shifter, and the shifters are only compatible with their road derailleurs, the rear derailleur will not accommodate a 32t cog, plus i think its 10spd.

so in a lot of ways... the H-Bar is really limited to either no shifters at all, or the Shimano dual-control

Sram triggers work... and i've become very comfortable using them on the H-bar.
in my spoiled, high end bike parts, way that i've been in years past...
the X.7's are kind of cheap feeling to me... too much plastic... but... they work, and i imagine they will last a long time.
the X.0 triggers are much nicer... their mounts offer various positions, that might better place them on the H-bar. on the pug, i've simply bolted them on, and forgot about all that hoop-la

blah blah blah

too much on nuances... peace...d

3,617 Posts
Robert_in_ca said:

Shimano XT775 hubs, 36H black
DT Swiss Alpine III Spokes(as long as they'll work with the hubs, still looking into that, if not then Competition)
Mavic EN521 Rims(still researching different Mavic rims for the job though)
Brass Nipples
Kenda Small Block 8's for offroad bike camping and Schwalbe Marathon XR's for mixed terrain/longer tours
those rims look awesome! i had no idea MAVIC came out with that rim...

i have a new wheelset coming in, and im using XM317's with some Deore hubs 36h for the Dummy with straight gauge spokes.
i think the wheelset comes up to about $180

just an fyi

peace...d

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Definitely the trigger shifters. Where have you seen a 37T cassette? I thought the biggest was an 11-34. Anyways a 20T up front and an 11-34 on 26" wheels is definitely low enough.

Dual controls were also a consideration, but I just love the way SRAM works. I love Shimano cranks though. The new SLX crankset is pretty sweet too for the price, it uses the same carbon/stainless middle ring as the '08 XT. And I prefer the XT/XTR front der over any of the Sram ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.