Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay yeah, im going to be purchasing my first Norco soon, and yes it only has one front Disc brake.. Read is a V-Brake. Im just curious on how bad this is? Like is it going to offset the bike a lot? Yes i know that 70% of braking power is in the front, but im just curious, will this brakes perform well together to modulate and all that stuff for control,etc. Or would droppin on that read disc be a smart idea at the start just so its balance and control is better from the rear?

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
I have a HT with a disc up front- V in the rear. I find myself really grabbing the rear and barely pulling the front. You get used to the difference and it won't bother you too much if this is your only bike. My main ride is hydrolic disc front/rear, so when i get on the HT it takes a little bit to get the feel back.

If money is no option- spend it. You will feel more balanced.

If it's a $$ issue- it works fine, upgrade when you find a smoking deal. :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input.. Yeah i may wait to slap the rear disc on. Then again it depends how much the bike shop will slap on another disc for me. If it sounds alrite, then ill just go with it kinda thing.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
It's not so bad a way to go. I rode a similar setup for about two years and liked it enough that I almost stuck with it on my next bike.

The thing is, modulating the rear wheel is always touchy, V or disc. When braking hard, you're going to be working them independently no matter what combo you have.

Running a mixed setup, I learned the importance of the front brake and how to lean heavily on it under most circumstances.

It's not a bad way to go, and doesn't compromise much in most riding conditions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I run a disc up front and v in the rear and never really had any huge problems. The set-up works for me just fine the extra braking poweer took a little getting used to but now its all good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.